Adults Picking On Chicks

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I have 3 adult silkies (2 hens, 1 rooster) in a coop with 4 9-week old silkies. One of the hens raised the chicks since day 2, when I gave them to her because she was broody. This is my first time raising chicks with adults.

For the last 2-3 weeks all the adults (but mostly both hens) have been picking on the chicks, going out of their way to chase them, trying to peck them, etc. The chicks won’t even walk past them without looking nervous and trying to run away. I assumed it was just pecking order being established but feels like it’s been going on too long for that.

Coop is 8x4 and run is 20x4 so I don’t think space is the issue. They have places to be out of sight in the coop, I could add more in the run.

My main question is: is this normal or do I need to intervene? And if I need to step in, what should be done? Im getting really tired to hearing the chicks scream when a hen gets close to them 🙄

For the last 2-3 weeks all the adults (but mostly both hens) have been picking on the chicks, going out of their way to chase them, trying to peck them, etc. The chicks won’t even walk past them without looking nervous and trying to run away. I assumed it was just pecking order being established but feels like it’s been going on too long for that
The littles won't really be "part of the flock" until they begin to lay eggs. I have (5) 17 week old pullets in with (5) hens, and some of the hens will chase the pullets, even now. It's how it goes.

What is a problem is the adults holding down and mercilessly pecking or flogging one of the pullets.
They have places to be out of sight in the coop, I could add more in the run.
That might help. Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

The littles won't really be "part of the flock" until they begin to lay eggs. I have (5) 17 week old pullets in with (5) hens, and some of the hens will chase the pullets, even now. It's how it goes.

What is a problem is the adults holding down and mercilessly pecking or flogging one of the pullets.

That might help. Check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Thank you!

The hens just sort of chase the chicks around, I don’t think they ever really make contact. It’s just hard to hear their little squeaks and not know if it’s normal since I’ve never integrated adults and chicks before.

That’s a relief to know it will eventually settle down once they come of age!!

I’ll be checking out that post for tips. Thanks again! Really put my mind at ease ❤️

Last edited:
For chickens, out of sight usually means out of mind. Once the chick is behind something and can't be seen, the older bird most likely will break off pursuit.

Just be very careful that you don't make a dead end. A tunnel type of thing -- like a small pallet leaning against the fence -- is great, but it has to be open on both ends so the chick doesn't get trapped if the older bird does give chase. If the chicks are still significantly smaller than the adults, a tunnel or opening that they fit through, but the adults don't, can be very useful too.

Good luck. It's hard to watch, I know. I wanted all my birds to join wings and sing Kumbyay. Nope, not how they do it.

Back
Top Bottom