Advanced bumblefoot but no obvious point of entry.

So, this thing started presenting after the doc removed what he believed to be all of the infectious debris. If you notice, the photo of it protruding under the skin is taken from behind the foot looking out to her toe. There is a scar near her toe that is from her life before us, and is probably what caused the Bumblefoot in the first place. We think the new, thinner skin at the surgical scar allowed this to surface. We cut a very small hole and gave a little squeeze, and that is what started popping out! After enough protruded, my wife simply grabbed and pulled, and we both were dumbstruck at what came out! We emailed it to the doc and he is very pleased. He called it “debris.” She is doing very well 🥰
Just read the whole thread and I love your dedication:thumbsup!

I’m so glad to have found this thread! We recently picked up an abandoned Pekin from a nearby park. Her left foot looks just like Clover’s—hugely swollen with no obvious wound. We took her to the vet and started her on antibiotics two days ago.

I’m so glad Clover is doing well now! And yikes, four months of treatment is a long time. She’s a lucky duck.

I’m so glad to have found this thread! We recently picked up an abandoned Pekin from a nearby park. Her left foot looks just like Clover’s—hugely swollen with no obvious wound. We took her to the vet and started her on antibiotics two days ago.

I’m so glad Clover is doing well now! And yikes, four months of treatment is a long time. She’s a lucky duck.
A reply like yours is exactly why I wanted to post all of this info here. We’ve dealt with bumblefoot before, but had never seen such an advanced case, and there wasn’t much info available for aggressive treatment. Most info on cases this bad ended with euthanasia, but her spirit has been so strong through all of this, we just have to try until the wheels fall off. She is still on the antibiotics, and the metacam for pain management, but doc believes she will now be able to start backing off the meds soon to see how she does! Good luck with your rescue! 🤞

She could have stepped on something long ago, it broke off in her and healed over, leaving the foreign body in her. Or a piece of bone broke off, someone stepped on the foot broke a bone fragment off, foot healed but broken, and not getting nutrients so just dead crap bone, still in her causing issues. Now it finally worked it's way to the surface, you pulled it out, and now she can truly heal because the thing causing the infection is finally removed.

A lot of stuff like that will not show up on X rays, they are not miracle rays and a lot of things, just won't show on them. Ultrasound may reveal a lot more than x rays but each incidence is unique as to what will work and what wont.

I bet she gets better now and rooting for her. I love stories like this where someone sticks with a sick animal and brings it back to health. I used to raise bearded dragons, and for that, i ... inherited some rescues from time to time, horribly treated, broken backs, the works, so yah im very familiar with special needs pets, feeding by spoon or syringe, giving them shots daily etc etc. Sometimes if you let the pharmacist know what you are doing, they can give you a break on stuff you need to buy etc.

I needed small / short needles for subcutaneous injections. They typically balk when you go in and say I need syringes and needles, but when I brought the little guy and showed the pharmacist what it was for he made sure i always had everything i ever needed. You probably can't bring a duck in but a picture or so might help with getting supplies, better prices maybe? I honestly don't know, just a thought, it worked for me at one time,maybe can for you too.

Aaron

A reply like yours is exactly why I wanted to post all of this info here. We’ve dealt with bumblefoot before, but had never seen such an advanced case, and there wasn’t much info available for aggressive treatment. Most info on cases this bad ended with euthanasia, but her spirit has been so strong through all of this, we just have to try until the wheels fall off. She is still on the antibiotics, and the metacam for pain management, but doc believes she will now be able to start backing off the meds soon to see how she does! Good luck with your rescue! 🤞
I really appreciate your documenting this whole experience—yes, finding information about treating advanced bumblefoot in ducks is nearly impossible.

Can I ask—how have you managed daily administration of antibiotics for such a prolonged period? This duck is also a fighter and I want to do all I can for her. But the prospect of giving antibiotics twice daily for almost half a year is… daunting.

I really appreciate your documenting this whole experience—yes, finding information about treating advanced bumblefoot in ducks is nearly impossible.

Can I ask—how have you managed daily administration of antibiotics for such a prolonged period? This duck is also a fighter and I want to do all I can for her. But the prospect of giving antibiotics twice daily for almost half a year is… daunting.
We have been administering the antibiotic (sulfadiazine trimethoprim) and the meloxidyl orally using syringes. We just hold her and tilt her head up and squirt it down her throat. The antibiotic dose is only .5ml twice a day, so that one’s easy, but the meloxidyl dosage is 2ml in the mornings, so we have to take that one a little slower. She hates it, but it beats injections!

We have been administering the antibiotic (sulfadiazine trimethoprim) and the meloxidyl orally using syringes. We just hold her and tilt her head up and squirt it down her throat. The antibiotic dose is only .5ml twice a day, so that one’s easy, but the meloxidyl dosage is 2ml in the mornings, so we have to take that one a little slower. She hates it, but it beats injections!
I find that I can give the meds in the side of their bills, but my ducks so far haven't been major fighters.

My overall experiences have been that ducks are more people friendly, and even when they are still learning 'you' once you get them cradled in your arms or somewhat subdued, they don't put up as much as a fuss as chickens do. Then again, having a much bigger bill .vs. beak to grab onto helps too when administering meds to someone who does NOT want it!

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom