Advanced stages of Bumblefoot

Felt around her abdomen. It does feel pretty watery...like a water balloon. When I first noticed she wasn't her usual self she was walking like she had a full diaper and when I soaked poo off her fluff butt it felt like some small pieces of egg shell were in there. Didn't try looking at the stuff is washed off cause I also had my injured goat that needed lots of care. She took priority over my chicken until she passed . I did try gloving up and feeling in her vent but felt nothing at the time.

I'm thinking poor Peep has a combination of things and I want to focus on keeping her comfortable and then additional preventative measures with the rest of my flock.

Ascites, or water belly is often associated with reproductive problems like cancer, or with organ failure (liver, heart), the fluid is from a liver that is over taxed or failing. It's a symptom of another problem. Once a hen develops ascites the prognosis is poor. Some people will drain them, which can bring some temporary relief in some cases, but it will recur and it does come with some risk. Draining too much too fast can cause shock which can be fatal, and infection is also a risk. There are tons of posts on draining ascites if you want to search for that. Here is one video:
I have also used an aloe product to detox the liver, it was helpful in some cases, it just depends on what's going on and how advanced it is. Again, if it works it is temporary.
I give 4ml per day for up to 7 days of this, it has to be refrigerated once opened so you need to let it come to room temp before giving, available at health food stores or online:
aloedetox.jpg

Back
Top Bottom