Advantages to a mean rooster

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
Buck is not a nice rooster, the only thing he has going for him is he pretty & protects the hens while they are out. He has flogged me a few times. The last time he left marks and I bopped him across the coop with a broom. For now he is backing away from me but I am sure he will try it again when he gets his nerve back. The other 3 roosters avoid him and give him a wide path to walk.

This is Buck
IMG_1007.jpg

Freddie's job is to help me with the chickens. He paces the floor and makes himself obnoxious after he has breakfast. Its time to let the birds out. He runs ahead to the coop and waits by the door. We do this 3 times a day, open, gather eggs and close up. When we go out to gather eggs, Freddie runs to the coop and tries to wait by the door.

Poor Freddie can't and is perplexed by this. As he is standing there staring at the coop door (silently saying open saysme) Buck comes up behind him. Freddie turns around and they face off. Buck has his feathers out and charges at Freddie. They do this a few times until I get there. Today Buck chases Freddie away from the coop. Freddie is running in circles with Buck chasing him. I thought Freddie's eye were going to pop out of his head, they were so wide. Poor Freddie, the doxies boss him around and now so does the Buck.

Here is poor Freddie
IMG_0993.jpg

Buck sounds like the kind of rooster I need to deal with my mom's new dog. My leghorn rooster Finrod is mean to the hens (so I keep him separate), but a wimp when it comes to any kind of threat.

Buck is not mean to the hens or other roosters. I open the coop up around 7am and close after dusk. The birds have free access to the farm all day, they come and go as they please, with no supervision. Buck protects his flock. Just sometimes he gets a bit overprotective towards me. I usually swat him w/something and he backs off for a few weeks. The only reason I tolerate his behavior (which isnt constant towards me) is he protects the birds while they are out.....this is the advantage

Quote:
I have 3 sweet roosters, that coop together, eat out of my hands, let me pick them up and come when thier called, and all three work together to protect the ladies when they are out roaming.

A friendly roo will protect your flock without traumatizing your sweet natured dog, who may someday surprise you, and when you are not looking put your rooster out of your misery!

Wow, if Buck was that bad then he would be soup. He backs down
once he gets swatted a few times. He sure likes to test Freddie though.

I have four roosters, including Buck. The white rooster is 2nd in command, so to speak and two EE roosters that are quite docile. I only have 6 hens for them to watch over. The ratio isnt great but I am getting 30 more hens in April.

Sweet natured Freddie only likes to kill things that talk back. He is obsessed with catching the squirrells that chatter at him just out of reach and the yard has one less woodchuck. The poor little guy stood up and chatted at Freddie and it was a gonner. If they dont do that, he isnt interested in them in the slightest. He will not chase a rabbit at all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom