Adventures with Chicken Coop building

MaGlockner

Songster
May 24, 2020
Massachusetts
This almost made me give up my flock. Seriously. Why did I buy chickens before building a coop? Don't answer that question ... rookie mistake. I know better now. Anyway, my incredibly awesome neighbor is helping me with this project. Thought I'd capture it all here as it unfolds.

Started with a frame that I bought on FB marketplace:
Coop Frame.jpg

It's ~ 4x6, which is great for the 5 birds in my flock, as right now this is the max number I feel is manageable.

Bought 1/2x1/2 19g black pvc coated hardware mesh from a family owned company in New Jersey - they were great, had plenty on hand and delivery was prompt and reasonable. PM me if you want their contact info.

The plan was to put hardware mesh along three sides of the bottom part so the ladies could have a spa. That's where I will set up their dust bath area. Also using hardware mesh for the run and windows/soffits of the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5594.JPG
    IMG_5594.JPG
    794.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
160 hex screws with neoprene washers later ... the spa area, windows and soffits are secure. The back side is temporarily tacked on. This will be secured permanently with hinges and will be french door styled for ease of clean out.

I scored a window on Craigslist for $20 that will be on the SW side of the coop, just above the nest boxes, to maximize winter light for the girls. I will reinforce that inside with hardware mesh.

I scored the shutter from the trash. It needs some stain to preserve it for outdoor use, but certainly seems like it will serve the purpose

I added linoleum to the coop floor, to make cleaning easier. The 12x12 squares were under $1 apiece, and peel and stick. I've never done anything like this before, and am beyond happy with how the floor came out.

That's it for now. Will continue to post as the build out progresses. Feedback welcome, please and thank you!

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 13
  • first floor tile.jpg
    first floor tile.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 14
  • floor in process.jpg
    floor in process.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 14
  • finished floor.jpg
    finished floor.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 19
  • repurposed shutter.jpg
    repurposed shutter.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 33
160 hex screws with neoprene washers later ... the spa area, windows and soffits are secure. The back side is temporarily tacked on. This will be secured permanently with hinges and will be french door styled for ease of clean out.

I scored a window on Craigslist for $20 that will be on the SW side of the coop, just above the nest boxes, to maximize winter light for the girls. I will reinforce that inside with hardware mesh.

I scored the shutter from the trash. It needs some stain to preserve it for outdoor use, but certainly seems like it will serve the purpose

I added linoleum to the coop floor, to make cleaning easier. The 12x12 squares were under $1 apiece, and peel and stick. I've never done anything like this before, and am beyond happy with how the floor came out.

That's it for now. Will continue to post as the build out progresses. Feedback welcome, please and thank you!
I would turn that shutter upside down. It will give the chickens an easier grip.

Looks pretty darn nice @MaGlockner !

Leave the soffits open for winter ventilation...go for a big roof overhangs to protect them.

Nah, make solid ramp with 1/2" cleats spaced 4" apart.

I would turn that shutter upside down. It will give the chickens an easier grip.
And catch toes easier in those gaps when they descend.
I'd not use it at all.<cringes>toebreaker.

Looks pretty darn nice @MaGlockner !

Leave the soffits open for winter ventilation...go for a big roof overhangs to protect them.

Nah, make solid ramp with 1/2" cleats spaced 4" apart.

And catch toes easier in those gaps when they descend.
I'd not use it at all.<cringes>toebreaker.
Oh gosh, yep, didn't even think about that. Mine dont tend to use the ramp coming out.

Thank you for the replies and advice. I will try to re-purpose the shutter into something useful and not harmful.

I'm attaching a tentative interior coop floor plan, for suggestions for improvement. The coop isn't heated, but it's close enough that I could run an extension cord if necessary, during coldest days of winter.

the two roost bars will be at different heights and 3' long x 4" wide with a 3' x 2' poop tray beneath. Want the roosts to be secured 18" from side of coop and 18 and 24" off floor. I plan to buy two commercial baking sheets to put on the poop tray that I can slide out for easy cleaning. The largest I can buy are 18"l x 26"w

I plan currently to have a hanging galvanized feeder inside in the winter. During the rest of the year I want to make a feeder out of 4" plumbing pipe and secure it in the run. Not sure what to do about water in the winter and asking for suggestions on that please.

Does this make sense to those more knowledgeable than this newbie?

Attachments

• Tentative Coop layout.jpg
    Tentative Coop layout.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 30
Looks really good. but it seems to be sitting right on the ground. You may want to consider digging a trench around it and burying more wire, or sheet metal or even exterior grade plywood (will rot eventually) and attaching it securely to the bottom of the SPA area. you chose great, secure wire but if you leave the bottom as it animals will dig right under very easily. I used an old above ground pool, cut in half long ways to give me 24 inch really long rolls. May have been overkill to go that deep, but nothing has ever gotten into the coop (nothing bigger than small mice that can squeeze through the wire, that is)

I'm attaching a tentative interior coop floor plan, for suggestions for improvement. The coop isn't heated, but it's close enough that I could run an extension cord if necessary, during coldest days of winter.
Roosts are too close to wall and apart.
12" from wall and centered 8" above 24" poop boards work well here....
....no 'overshoots' onto walls.

You won't need heat, but you may want a heated waterer.

Looks really good. but it seems to be sitting right on the ground. You may want to consider digging a trench around it and burying more wire, or sheet metal or even exterior grade plywood (will rot eventually) and attaching it securely to the bottom of the SPA area. you chose great, secure wire but if you leave the bottom as it animals will dig right under very easily. I used an old above ground pool, cut in half long ways to give me 24 inch really long rolls. May have been overkill to go that deep, but nothing has ever gotten into the coop (nothing bigger than small mice that can squeeze through the wire, that is)
the ultimate base hasn't been built yet. We're planning to finish the coop, then put it on a PT base, and adding a 2' predator apron all around. The run will be attached. The area under the coop is the "spa" and will have the dust bath containers for the girls.

The total run will be either 60 sq feet or 72. I haven't decided if I can easily do the extra two feet out yet which will yield 12 additional sq ft of space.

Roosts are too close to wall and apart.
12" from wall and centered 8" above 24" poop boards work well here....
....no 'overshoots' onto walls.

You won't need heat, but you may want a heated waterer.
i thought about putting them 18" from the left side wall, and 18" and 24" off floor - thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom