Advice about my Itty-bitty baby guinea's condition

j3monkeymama

Hatching
Sep 23, 2020
Hi. First time posting since this is my 1st guinea, and I am desperate & would greatly appreciate any advice.
My baby is from a clutch of 16, but only 3 survived a violent wild dog attack. My Pops has the other 2 survivors who within a week's time have nearly tripled in size (they were actually at least double my baby's size last week). those 2 almost look like they are molting bc of missing feathers all over their sides. But otherwise they seems healthy.
My itty-bitty appears to be the runt. She /(He) seems plump enough, has all her feathers but is just kind of slow in her movements. She doesn't flutter about like the others & they are still caged since they are just a bit over 2 weeks old. She seems to be eating well, I think (medicated starter crumbs).
I just brought her inside so I could keep a closer eye on her and was told to try feeding her grits & give her warm sugar water. She also has enough warmth from heating pads, I believe.
My greatest concern is that she has some type of issue with one of her eyes which I'll attach a photo of. The breeder tells me one thing and the siblings guinea-daddy tells me the opposite. I personally wonder if the bigger ones pecked her, but that's me trying to stay positive.
And lastly, I beg anyone who replies that if you believe my baby is on her way out.....please try to break it to me gently.
Thanks so much

UPDATE: I extremely and greatly appreciate each and any comment, concern and suggestion that I have received. I did answer back to a few people bc she seemed so healthily normal this morning.
But a short time later she fell on her side so I picked her up to comfort her and then a few minutes after be that she had 2 seizures. I watched her last breathes feeling helpless. I was a vet tech for about 10urs of countless species of critters & that is my passion, although I've just have never bonded with any birds until now.
Anyways, a million thanks to talk & if I could solicit prayers for my friend the babies came from I'd be forever grateful for that too. She & her son found another 20-25 orphaned babies that are maybe 2 weeks old, if even that. Luckily one of her hens has actually stepped up and taken control as far as sheltering/protecting/loving about half the babies.
Sorry to post such long messages, and I believe I just inherited my baby's siblings bc of this unfortunately & untimely passing of my 1st bird baby.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_145224.jpg
    IMG_20200923_145224.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Also...I am a little confused will ypu help me put real quick....
This one was with teo others until today?
Can ypu get pictures of the other two next to it for size comparison?

What exactly do you feed it?
Pictures of fresh poop too, please.

Hi. First time posting since this is my 1st guinea, and I am desperate & would greatly appreciate any advice.
My baby is from a clutch of 16, but only 3 survived a violent wild dog attack. My Pops has the other 2 survivors who within a week's time have nearly tripled in size (they were actually at least double my baby's size last week). those 2 almost look like they are molting bc of missing feathers all over their sides. But otherwise they seems healthy.
My itty-bitty appears to be the runt. She /(He) seems plump enough, has all her feathers but is just kind of slow in her movements. She doesn't flutter about like the others & they are still caged since they are just a bit over 2 weeks old. She seems to be eating well, I think (medicated starter crumbs).
I just brought her inside so I could keep a closer eye on her and was told to try feeding her grits & give her warm sugar water. She also has enough warmth from heating pads, I believe.
My greatest concern is that she has some type of issue with one of her eyes which I'll attach a photo of. The breeder tells me one thing and the siblings guinea-daddy tells me the opposite. I personally wonder if the bigger ones pecked her, but that's me trying to stay positive.
And lastly, I beg anyone who replies that if you believe my baby is on her way out.....please try to break it to me gently.
Thanks so much
Hi j3MonkeyMamma - welcome to BYCs! :welcome I hope that we are able to help you out...

So, you now have 3, two week old guineas that survived a dog attack? How long ago was the dog attack? Regarding itty-bitty, was it always smaller than the others? Was it visibly injured in the attack? Is it currently eating and drinking? Keets are fragile - I very much hope that your little survivor pulls through!

Welcome to BYC! And welcome to the guinea section:) We adore them around here😊 So sorry to hear about the attack😞

You said you are feeding medicated chick starter?
They need turkey and game bird starter for proper protein and vitamins.
I really do hate to say that she doesn’t look well from the picture. How much smaller is she?
I can’t see anything obviously wrong with its eye from the picture. Does it open at all, or stay closed all the time?

Back
Top Bottom