Advice about rescued dog, please!

Thank you everyone for your advice. First off, my husband and I are making contact with our local breed club, who does rescue, to talk about rehoming him into a better situation for him, and us. For the time being, we are keeping an even closer eye on the baby and the dog and not allowing the dog on the couch (at night when we all are sleeping, I don't care, but otherwise he is off furniture now). I don't know how much I buy into the whole "pack/alpha" mentality, but at the least, i do believe he feels the baby is a "puppy" and is warning him how he would warn a "puppy"...which of course a human baby won't understand. And since the couch is the place the issue has been occurring, he is off now.

We adopted him from an individual, not an organization, and her daughter had rescued him from a high-kill shelter in Montana, with the intention of rehoming him. We were told he had been around young kids and dogs, and was super sweet. After we got him, they told us he was kept in the garage most of the time (ie, contact with kids may be negligible), had I known that, we would have passed on him. He is an angel 99.9% of the time, learning his commands great, doesn't care when the kids walk or crawl by him, not upset by either of them crying, eats out of my hand very gently, good with our neighbors dog, etc.

I was raised with weims, I know the rap they have, but that hasn't been my experience with them. My parents weims are great with my kids. I was raised around other large dogs as well, my grandparents have trained dogs for decades now, I know, for the most part, what I am doing. I know dogs+kids can be bad, but I also know, despite what some trainers and resources would lead you to believe, most people do not wait until they are retired and have no kids at hoe to have dogs, and most of the time, it works out fine. This time, it isn't working out, and it sucks.

I was have never been someone who views dogs as disposable, once they are here, they are home. But, my kids have to be first and in this case, the risk of something happening has to outweigh anything else. We do plan to rehome him, ideally to the breed rescue group. I do think that would be best for him, and I think he will make an absolutely great dog for someone with no small children.

We plan to wait a while before trying a dog again, and if we rescue, we will go through a reputable shelter or breed group (lesson learned there; I refuse to feel bad for trusting people though, even if it was a bad choice). Or, we may wait a couple years, and get a puppy from a reputable breeder, so we know their history from the beginning. (I think I would feel differently about rehoming vs watching and training if we had had him this whole time, and knew he had never bit anyone, never moved past the growl, you know?)

Anyhow, we are waiting for the group to get back to us.

ok so dont rehome him, just keep him and the baby completely apart. Lock the dog in your kitchen with a wonderful dog bed where he can see/hear and interact with you all, just dont allow any interaction with him and small children until you KNOW for sure you can trust him. I dont trust my brothers dog at ALL with small children since he bit Syd, but he is awesome with Syd now that she is nearly 10 years old, and he ignores my 5 yr old daughter.

So if you want to keep him, do it... just do not allow ANY unsupervised interaction with him and babies!

Good for you! I know that is hard. Also, it is NOT a bad idea to rescue a dog while you have children, you just have to be very careful about them. I temperament test all the dogs who come in and out of our home before they come into contact with my daughter, and even then watch very closely for signs of aggression. (Usually if a dog acts nervous around Lily, I adopt them out to a home with no kids.)

We got our Standard Poodle at 10 weeks old when Lily wasn't even walking yet. He is now super protective of her and lets her do whatever she wants to him. Some dogs just aren't used to kids. He'll be happier and so will you guys when you find that dog that fits your family.
hugs.gif

I just wanted to say I am sorry how this did not work out for you! In reading your post you sound a lot like myself in believing “once they are there, they are home” I too had a very difficult dog and it took 2 years to get him “right” for the most part. My children were not small and my youngest at 14 did very well with him and he did respect her. I know it is a hard decision to make and I believe it is the right one. You just never know what some rescues had gone through before you get them and what might set them off until it happens. I hope the rescue can find him a good match and I also hope you can find a dog that will fit in better with your family situation. Good Luck!
hugs.gif

Quote:
I really appreciate the common sense approach you have taken here -- so many people don't use their's in these kinds of situations. The comments I highlighted I would like to comment on. Firstly, I don't think that your dogs issue is an "pack order" issue either. Judging by the description of how he otherwise behaves with the kids he's not pushing for a pack re-order (not that you've even had him long enough for him to start looking for one LOL). He seems to be a nice dog otherwise, that is why I would consider his issue one of insecuritiy or fear. Many dogs are afraid of children when they are face to face. Especially babies have an odd way of moving that makes many animals, not just dogs, uneasy.

You are 100% correct that the Weim is trying to correct the baby with the growl, and unfortunately babies (and most adults) don't really get it.

I work with a lot of people in your situation. I always do an evaluation first before I agree to take anyone on as a client. Its about 50/50 if I tell them its a workable situation or not. If I think its workable I schedule training sessions, from there I assess more the client's ability, willingness, and level of commitment to fixing the issue. I usually know within two sessions for sure.

Sounds like your new dog has some temperament issues that havent been addressed in the past and also have probably been made worse by him being re-homed. Insecurity is very common, but also needs a discerning eye. You sound like you have the experience to know what you should do.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom