Advice appreciated

BonBonG

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
Bay Area, California
Hi,
We are gutting out our yard and we recently put up this premade coop/run combo. We will lift the coop up a bit and build a short fence around it to give the girls some personal yard space. (We are aware that me may need to cover it if the girls are more interested in the rest of the backyard and for protection as needed).
What’s the best ground cover to use in their yard to eliminate smell? The dirt we have is almost sand like, we can easily sift it over our dogs poop as if it’s kitty litter.

also for the covered run (I will actually put a solid roofing over the covered run), I am planning to use lots of wood shavings and pdz.
Am I on the right track? First time doing this and don’t want to have toooo many mistakes to learn from
Ty!!
(I included my oh-so professional drawing 😆)

Attachments

• 047D7D14-BDE9-457E-AE50-1C17C44C6B1C.jpeg
    047D7D14-BDE9-457E-AE50-1C17C44C6B1C.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 31
  • B7FD1101-69F6-46FA-A24C-C50A9BF92E4E.jpeg
    B7FD1101-69F6-46FA-A24C-C50A9BF92E4E.jpeg
    910.2 KB · Views: 31
also for the covered run (I will actually put a solid roofing over the covered run)
We will lift the coop up a bit and build a short fence around it to give the girls some personal yard space. (We are aware that me may need to cover it if the girls are more interested in the rest of the backyard and for protection as needed).
Make run tall enough for you to walk into comfortably.
At least a mesh roof is a good idea, because a "short fence" will not keep them where they belong.

What’s the best ground cover to use in their yard to eliminate smell? The dirt we have is almost sand like, we can easily sift it over our dogs poop as if it’s kitty litter.
First make sure you have no drainage issues, then coarse wood chippings are best to reduce odor, IMO, along with other smaller dry plant matter.

How many birds do you plan on keeping?
The coop part of that coop/run combo is pretty small, might think about making it all coop.
Need to see the inside to advise on how to do that.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @BonBonG
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603484206688.png

Make run tall enough for you to walk into comfortably.
At least a mesh roof is a good idea, because a "short fence" will not keep them where they belong.

First make sure you have no drainage issues, then coarse wood chippings are best to reduce odor, IMO, along with other smaller dry plant matter.

How many birds do you plan on keeping?
The coop part of that coop/run combo is pretty small, might think about making it all coop.
Need to see the inside to advise on how to do that.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @BonBonG
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2384468
Hi! Ty. I updated that info. I’m from California (Bay Area) in a city where houses are close to one another. I have 3 chicks. The dimensions of the coop is 3’x4 and the run is 8’. I’ll attach some photos from the website. We don’t get much rain, and even with the occasional heavy rains drainage hasn’t been an issue.
I didn’t really want to build a tall run/cage. Was hoping to have a chicken yard w a bunch of plants for them. We have cats and dogs in the back (acclimating them all now) but I’m sure we’ll all be together in the back regardless of the their fenced area. Was hoping the chickens will spend most of their time in their yard so less poop in other areas.
... after writing this I’ve realized that my chickens will prob not want to be where they should be hence a low fence is useless. 😬. Am I dreaming? Is there a possibility of them actually staying in their yard?
Im thinking... if the short fence doesn’t work then we’ll build it up to a tall fence as needed. My husband is thinking—- just make up your mind. 😬

Attachments

• BCFDB29F-51C7-4714-B9BA-86019F328F37.jpeg
    BCFDB29F-51C7-4714-B9BA-86019F328F37.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • B4B40573-7D05-4231-8349-5865CB1E44D4.jpeg
    B4B40573-7D05-4231-8349-5865CB1E44D4.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 19
  • C8A0852A-0CDE-493F-BB1F-8CEDF62C2768.jpeg
    C8A0852A-0CDE-493F-BB1F-8CEDF62C2768.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Am I dreaming?
Yes. :D

Was hoping to have a chicken yard w a bunch of plants for them.
They are very likely to tear up any plantings they can get at.

if the short fence doesn’t work then we’ll build it up to a tall fence as needed. My husband is thinking—- just make up your mind.
Just go tall with a mesh roof, will keep chickens in and depending on what mesh you use most predators out.

Where’s the fainting emoji at?!?
Romance meets Reality.
mesh .. as in hardware cloth?
1/2" HC would keep about everything out, backed with a stronger mesh against larger preds.
There's a lot of different meshes/fencing, all have their pros and cons.

I used 14ga 2x4 welded wire on my run(roof, walls, and apron) because....
- hawks are the main predator here.
- most snow goes right thru it.
- I'm home in sight or hearing of coop and run 95% of the daylight hours.
My coop on the other hand is a 6 sided box of 1/2" HC, and inside a large shed....
..so pretty much impenetrable at night.

1/2" HC would keep about everything out, backed with a stronger mesh against larger preds.
There's a lot of different meshes/fencing, all have their pros and cons.

I used 14ga 2x4 welded wire on my run(roof, walls, and apron) because....
- hawks are the main predator here.
- most snow goes right thru it.
- I'm home in sight or hearing of coop and run 95% of the daylight hours.
My coop on the other hand is a 6 sided box of 1/2" HC, and inside a large shed....
..so pretty much impenetrable at night.

their main predator will be my 80+ yo dad 😅

back to the drawing board I go. Ty for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom