Advice for a new chickenier

Nightowlmom

Hatching
Jul 9, 2015
Hi,
This is our first year with chickens. Thanks to some folks here on the forum I can tell you we have a dark cornish, 2 wyandottes, and a light brahma.

At the moment they are in a 4x4 coop and we let them free range in our yard for several hours each day. But we have a cat that kills everything in the area (we've seen it attack and kill snakes as well as the usual chipmunks and mice. It even went after a full grown turkey) so we can't leave them out unless we are there too.

So I'm designing a run that will be predator safe. I think I have the size big enough based on what I read here (8x12 run) for my 4 chickens. But I'm using the back side of our shed for one of the walls (which isn't quite 12 feet wide), and it will run up against a chain link fence on the end opposite the coop. I plan to run hardware cloth over the chainlink fence (and indeed use that for all the fencing area). But since we live in NH and snow is a huge issue I also planned on putting a roof over it so they can go outside.

I don't know if that is enough to give a picture of what I'm trying to do but before I get started does anyone have recommendations on how to put it together given predators and snow? I can upload a sketch later if that will help.

NH? You get some pretty cold weather-well below zero??? Most chickens do not do well with the cold; especially outside in cold winds and drafts. Consider doing some research to see how hardy the breeds you have are.

Yes, we get very cold. This past year was never ending cold and snow.

We bought the chicks at a local supply store durIng a 4H event. I didn't know anything at the time, not even what questions to ask!

I'm doing the deep litter method to get some heat in the coop, and I have a heat lamp set up (but not on now) that I'm ok using to keep the girls warm when the temp drops. At this point well do what we have to to keep them happy during the winter.

But I do need to get them a run first so they can be free outside and not wait for us to be out.

A run in the warmer months is a good idea; I wish I could build one. No way. My neighbors go out of their way to complain about everything and everyone.

The Wyandottes are the most cold hardy of the birds you already have. Other cold hardy breeds are; Rhode Island Red, Orpington, Plymouth Rock, Chanticlers.

It is more important to have good air flow for humidity reduction than it is to add heat to a coop. Humidity is what causes frost bite so the less of it in the coop the better for your chooks.

Water will need a heater to not freeze long before the chooks would need a heater. For the run your roof idea is good but you might also want some tarps to fend off the winds, these can be rolled up or down depending on the weather, do not close off the entire run though.

the DLM method isn't really going to add much heat (it isn't a hot compost pile) but it will insulate the floor and allow the birds natural body heat to be effective. Chooks have a higher body temperature than humans, by around 10 degrees C higher.

All your breeds will do fine in your winters, never fear. Folks in New England kept birds (and developed several new breeds) before electricity. None of your birds have straight combs, so you don't even really need to worry about frostbite on the points.

I've lost more chicks to my own cats in the last few years than all other predators combined over 15 years
he.gif
If you use mesh or hardware cloth, you should be good to go.

For snow load, you'll need a sloped roof. Snow is HEAVY! One good resource I've found is the local planning department. They can advise you on the best way to build for your local snow load, and their advice is free
smile.png

I finally rebuilt my run this year; it now has a real roof and hardware cloth and solid walls. Wonderful!!! Previously, it had chicken wire with welded wire walls and a chicken wire top for hawk protection. It was okay for daytime, but nobody wanted out in the snow. If you can, do a solid roof, and make sure it's meant for your snow load! Your Cornish might have some issues with cold, having hard (tight) feathering and maybe a bare spot on the breast. I've never had one over winter. Get advice from a good carpenter, look up framing, and do a dig proof foundation. And build as large as possible! Mary

Thanks everyone. I have some carpentry skills, but have never built anything like this. Stability is one reason I plan to tie it into the existing structures, but the roof angle may be a problem based on what I was thinking. The start of the roof at the coop end would have to be a foot or so higher than the coop roof (at the peak). But I'll find some way to make that work too.

I hear chickens love tunnels so maybe instead of going flush with the coop I'll build a tunnel from the coop door into the run.

Great advice and thanks again!

To join your roofs the best method will be to build a dormer style roof extension.
One of the best books (has great photos) is Home Framing available at Home Depot or Lowe's for 20 dollars I think.
While U tube is great for videos, it is really hard to refer to those when you are actually building, a book can be taken along and checked while you are on the "job site".

I'd be happy to give you some tips as you tackle this project. I've been a Master Carpenter since 1970. If you can post some photos I would be able to give directions better than without.

Back
Top Bottom