Advice for a newbie...

yearofthedog

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
Hi everyone,
I'm new to all things chickens(other than really digging them!) and had a question. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Can you raise a hen(I can't keep roosters) by herself or do chickens need company? I'll shower her with attention and all, but I don't want to be unfair if they need the company of other chickens!

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!!

Cindy

They do get lonely. Even 2 would be better than just a single hen.
And then you'll want more and More and MORE! Mwhahaha!
Welcome!
frow.gif

WELCOME to the board!
frow.gif

Yeah, Kinda along the lines of our thinking. well, We cant get just 1, so we better get 2.......oh, but wait, what if something happens to 1 of em? we better get 3 just to be safe!......ok, but ya know 4 is a good round number tho, lets get 4...etc, etc
tongue.png

Three would probably be the best for the above reasons. The most I've ever had at one time was 3.
If you get only one, YOU will be it's flock and she will cry until she sees you again...

Hey Welcome,

Chickens are social creatures. Don't like to be alone. 2 would be better than one so they have company and not much more trouble. I here of alot of people with 3 hens.

Beware it is highly addictive!!! lol
smile.png

Hi everyone and thanks for all the input!!!

I've been talking about getting chickens for so many years now, have to tell you all that I already have three chicks that my mom brought home from church 3 weeks ago(I'm thinking a classroom science project that got discarded at church...and the church cook was taking care of them-maybe not a good thing, LOL!!), but we don't know whether they are hens or roosters at this point. I'm so in love with my chickens, though I've prepared myself if in case any of them are roosters and visited a local bird sanctuary where they told me that I could bring them any roosters since they are not allowed. I've jumped the gun and already ordered a chicken coop from Murray Mcmurray and continue to dream about my future flock when I move to Colorado soon!!!! But fear not, I've been researching chickens and chicken ownership prodigiously since they get here and am prepared for the responsibilities.

Again, thank you all for the nice replies and advice! BTW, I hear you on the addictive nature of chickens!!!!

Cindy

I told myselft I would have no more than 3 or 4 hens now I have 10 and 2 sitting on eggs(can't keep em all) but I will keep a few. Need more room, thank goodness I have banties.

Yes, like everyone has said, 3 is the best number just in case one dies. Trust me, one lonley chick is NOT fun. It may sound good at first, but after you realize it needs attention all day long, you can't get anything done unless you learn to tune out the alarm clock chirp that only turns off when you look at it.

Back
Top Bottom