Advice for breeding with a splash roo

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
I have a small flock with a good range of feather and egg colors. Just starting genetics research here.

I have found a good splash Ameraucana breeder not too far away, and may add chicks this spring. We may choose to keep 2 Roos depending on how they grow out.

Ive found splash breeds true but the splash can fade down the line. So if these are black and white splash that may go to grey and white etc. unless you breed back to A black roo. Is that right?

If I want to maintain the splash going forward do I need to source a black roo as well? Or what is recommended?

What would be the result of the Splash Ameraucana roo to my Black Prairie Bluebell hens?

Thanks for any advice.

Ive found splash breeds true but the splash can fade down the line. So if these are black and white splash that may go to grey and white etc. unless you breed back to A black roo. Is that right?

Thanks for any advice.
Breeding Splash to Splash tends not to dilute since it's as diluted as it can be.

Splash is two copies of blue. Mated to a black bird results in all blue chicks.

There is no variety called splash. It's a blue variety color. The Blue gene dilutes black. One copy dilutes black to blue, two copies dilutes to splash. All three colors are a part of the blue variety.

Blue mated to blue- 1/2 blue, 1/4 black, 1/4 splash
Splash to black- all chicks blue
Blue to black or splash- 1/2 blue, 1/2 the other color mated
Splash to splash- all splash chicks

Last edited:
Splash is two copies of blue. Mated to a black bird results in all blue chicks.

There is no variety called splash. It's a blue variety color. The Blue gene dilutes black. One copy dilutes black to blue, two copies dilutes to splash. All three colors are a part of the blue variety.

Blue mated to blue- 1/2 blue, 1/4 black, 1/4 splash
Splash to black- all chicks blue
Blue to black or splash- 1/2 blue, 1/2 the other color mated
Splash to splash- all splash chicks
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom