Advice for crying chick

Brink

Chirping
May 24, 2023
My birds usually free range all day long. They have their coop that they go into at night to roost but I open their chick door for them about 0500 every morning for them to free range the yard/grass area.

However, I have workers coming to the property to install some chainlink fencing so I've kept them locked in their coup today. I had to keep them locked in yesterday as well but the workers were finished about 0915 so they were let out after they left.

However, today the workers won't be here for a bit longer, I'm on MST time zone so it's a bit after 1100 already. I have one chick that is just crying in the coop and it's heartbreaking. I peak in through the wire and she is just walking around with her beak open with the saddest most pitiful sound coming out of her.

Their coop is decently large in my opinion as my brother, husband, and I originally built it a few years ago for a dog run. It's 16' wide 48' long with a slanted roof with the tallest part at 8' high and the shortest part at slighter over 5' high. So I know she has enough room in their with her buddies. 12 chicks and one rooster including herself. She is only about 7/8 weeks old.

Any advice on what to do with a crying chick is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 16857295200455619045882229803159.jpg
    16857295200455619045882229803159.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 234
Honestly, she’s more likely telling you off than crying. “Come on, Human, open that door! Grumble, grumble, grumble…”
I feel like that was definitely what she was saying. I was finally able to let them out around 1530 and she stalked off to the other end of the yard and wouldn't come near me. Even When I pulled out the blueberries (their favorites) she wouldn't come and get some with the others. She definitely knows how to hold a grudge! However, this morning she was a happy camper and hanging out around me with her buddies again.

Back
Top Bottom