Advice for eye infection

Elise_Hope

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
Hi! I have 12 week old pullet, Jubilee, who was likely pecked in the eye by another chicken, but the injury itself was very mild (her eye was a bit watery and had only the slightest bit of bleeding). I decided to keep an eye on it, and sure enough a couple days later it seemed more red and swollen so I knew it was infected. However, it has been very quickly getting worse since then. I ordered an antibiotic (Baytril 10%- yes, not actually approved for chickens but it is far more effective than penicillin to my knowledge, and Jubilee will never be a part of the food chain!) but even with priority shipping, it will not be here for a couple more days. I have been treating with Vetericyn ophthalmic gel in the meantime, but this morning the eye appeared sealed shut. I am going to give some baby aspirin for pain and then use a warm compress on the eye to attempt to open it/remove any pus. Is there anything else that anybody might recommend to help her in the mean time until the antibiotic arrives? I feel bad that I’m not able to do much to help her immediately. Thank you!

Here’s a photo of the eye

Attachments

• A6D98E72-56D2-4453-9E56-8970BA19047D.jpeg
    A6D98E72-56D2-4453-9E56-8970BA19047D.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 15
Hello - I recommend terramycin from a vet. She should be seen at this time, to determine if she might have abrasions on her eye. Certain drops are ok for abrasions and certain drops are not. Best wishes and I hope she recovers for you!

Terramycin eye ointment is good to use, and if plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are available, those may help too, given twice a day.Get the eye cleaned out first with saline or water. Baytril 10% dosage is 0.05 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom