Advice for integrating

Ok so what kind of stuff should I put out? I suck at this :( lol the Isa Browns are rough! Need some good ideas for things to keep them busy!!!
You state that they are always free ranging together now. They are just currently sitting at the bottom of the pecking order(my guess) and are being taught proper manners by your current flock.

I believe your actual question is when you can safely roost them in the same coop together? Is that right?

You state that they are always free ranging together now. They are just currently sitting at the bottom of the pecking order(my guess) and are being taught proper manners by your current flock.

I believe your actual question is when you can safely roost them in the same coop together? Is that right?
Ok well they free range 3-8 hours a day- as long as possible. They have been closed in the run only a few times

I have a flock of 8 hens and then a flock of 4 hens, 3 months younger than the 8, and a rooster that has been with the flock of 4 since hatch day. They are all the same size, the younger girls will be larger than the older. They have been face to face all together free ranging- a little chasing- and they have been in the run together a few times, a few peck marks and some lose feathers, but nothing too serious. It has been about 5-6 weeks if this. The older girls still chase the younger- the roo is fine- the younger girls (all English orpingtons) are so afraid of the older (isa browns and two English orpingtons). I sometimes feel the roo won’t allow the pullets pecking order to be established but I also feel the 4 orpingtons are so docile, they just run whenever an ISA brown comes over ‍♀️

My question is; when is it ok to leave them all together in the coop and run? I want them to all be together! But I don’t want anyone to get hurt - and I know I am babying them too- so any input is great!
How old are all these birds, in months?
ETA: just looked at your intro thread,
age groups are about 5 months and 2 months?

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Pics of coop and run, inside and out, would really help.

The 2 groups will remain 'sub-flocks' until the youngers are laying,
then they will merge into 1 flock.
You're going to need lots of coop/run space, separate roosts for each group, multiple feed water stations, and 'hiding places' for the subordinates, to have the least chances of injury.

Here some tips.
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Back
Top Bottom