Advice for overwhelmed soon to be chicken owner!

Search on Craigslist and Facebook market place. Sometimes there is good deals on there!

I don't think I can recommend that to a newbie.

There's the risk of bringing in disease to someone who doesn't know what to look for and the likelihood that a coop someone is getting rid of isn't in good shape and may need extensive repairs. :)

I don't think I can recommend that to a newbie.

There's the risk of bringing in disease to someone who doesn't know what to look for and the likelihood that a coop someone is getting rid of isn't in good shape and may need extensive repairs. :)
I’ve found some great stuff on there. Just sayin

More advice, set up a coop before the chickens arrive (now!). Prefabs can be beefed up, if that’s the way you decide to go. I got a little prefab for an isolation coop/broody hen coop. I added latches and reinforced the floor to make it more secure. I discarded the roosts and put a larger single roost in. This is a plastic coop that we had to assemble, like lincoln logs. It is sturdy but pretty small. It sits within a run.
View attachment 2976564View attachment 2976565
View attachment 2976563
I was originally going to get this coop and put it inside a large outdoor dog kennel as a run but predator proofing it would be a pain! I’ll keep this one in mind for the future!! I like that it’s plastic

If you have the space and can afford it go for the 4x10x 6 tall with large run. 4 chickens will easily lead to 6 (chicken math) More space is better than not. I would cut out gable end at the top, add HWC for more ventilation.
Do you think the 4x10x6 is enough for 6? I’m only getting 4 now but the space to have 2 more in the future would be nice. I’m hoping I will be able to let them roam our yard once they are more used to us and we will be able to get them back in their coop, but since polish don’t see well I want them to have space in their run. I’ll be adding enrichment items to it for sure so they don’t get bored.

Do you think the 4x10x6 is enough for 6? I’m only getting 4 now but the space to have 2 more in the future would be nice. I’m hoping I will be able to let them roam our yard once they are more used to us and we will be able to get them back in their coop, but since polish don’t see well I want them to have space in their run. I’ll be adding enrichment items to it for sure so they don’t get bored.

The 4x10 footprint is enough run space for 4 birds. :)

You might consider expanding their area with a day pen in addition to the main coop/run combo.

I think people tend to really underestimate how fast chicks grow and how large adult chickens are. They go from baby chick to full size bird in almost 4 month. And standard size hens are every bit as big as my house cats. So I like to encourage people to think of it that way. If you have cats try to imagine 4 of them in a space full time. Would it work? Or would they be driving each other crazy or crammed in like sardines lol.

I think people tend to really underestimate how fast chicks grow and how large adult chickens are. They go from baby chick to full size bird in almost 4 month. And standard size hens are every bit as big as my house cats. So I like to encourage people to think of it that way. If you have cats try to imagine 4 of them in a space full time. Would it work? Or would they be driving each other crazy or crammed in like sardines lol.

I measured it out for an article I'm writing.

The 4 square feet in the coop is the size of my doormat. The 10 square feet in the run is the size of a tub-shower combo unit like you find in the hall bath in a manufactured home.

Back
Top Bottom