Advice for which rooster I should get

That's a tough question to answer. From what I've read and learned, each bird is different in their own individual way and they don't care about their breed temperament description (i promise that i am not being a smarta**). Oftentimes a cockerel that is raised alongside pullets will seem a bit bully like since they're generally larger and sexually mature before the pullets. If you can find a cockerel that's been raised by some older hens, you will have more of a chance in getting a gentleman, but that's not always the case. You and your family will also need to be confident in the way you act around a cockerel because that can have a lot to do with the way he acts as well. I ruined two cockerels (now roosters) by my inexperience (aka stupidity) and after learning, i still can't get them to be nice.

I bring all of this up to say, for many of us (ME) there's more to it than the breed. Some people are lucky in the fact that they've never dealt with a jerk cockerel or rooster, but most have and if i could go back, i would have studied so much more before i got cockerels. I wish you the very best. You've chose some gorgeous breeds. I absolutely LOVE my Barred Rocks and Buff Orpington (my barred rock rooster is one of the jerks i mentioned, but goodness gracious, he is so handsome, especially since his first molt!!!)
We have had jerk roosters before. I culled them to avoid them hurting my son's. Side note, we didn't have multiple roosters at one time. Always one at a time. After reading the above responses, I'm leaning toward a Delaware cockerel since they seem to be the most docile (if a thing were to exist). My plan is to not introduce a rooster until my hens are mature and they can keep him in line. I very much appreciate your response!

uh why are you biased against them? i'm not saying that's wrong; i'd like to hear what other people think
There's a whole thing going on. Basically, @Happy won't admit that cochins are far superior, and that escalated.....a ton. I also hate the color buff, which is the most common orp color.

There's a whole thing going on. Basically, @Happy won't admit that cochins are far superior, and that escalated.....a ton. I also hate the color buff, which is the most common orp color.
I know that neither of these are really valid reasons but I'd still say delaware because they're better for meat.

Thank you all for your quick responses! Everything I've read over the last few days had me leaning toward a Delaware cockerel. Your responses have been a great help in solidifying my decision.

We have had jerk roosters before. I culled them to avoid them hurting my son's. Side note, we didn't have multiple roosters at one time. Always one at a time. After reading the above responses, I'm leaning toward a Delaware cockerel since they seem to be the most docile (if a thing were to exist). My plan is to not introduce a rooster until my hens are mature and they can keep him in line. I very much appreciate your response!
I LOVE your plan and wish you the very best with your flock. I'm super excited for you and your family to enjoy this new chapter

Back
Top Bottom