Advice from a hunter on killing weasels, fisher cats and mink.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lengel, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    DH talked to his hunter friend in MN today. This guy has hunted all of his life and runs into problems with weasels, fisher cats and mink stealing his bear bait. More specifically, fisher cats like squirrels more than anything in the world and when the squirrels go for the bear bait, the fisher cats go for the squirrels so he is constantly trapping fisher cats to keep them away from the hunt.

This is what he said about killing them: trap them in a Havahart trap, put the trap right next to the car exhaust, drape a blanket over the back of the car (make sure that the blanket doesn't touch the exhaust pipe) and start the car. They go to sleep and die in a matter of seconds. He thinks that this is the most humane way to take care it. He also said that one weasel or mink can take out an entire chicken population in a matter of days.

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    oh my that sounds like Auschwitz to me, i'd rather see someone shot it instead of that, i sort of feel bad about the wildlife but i know how it is to lose a ton of birds to these critters, you pay good money and raise them up just to have something come in an kill everything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by