Advice from goat owners wanted!

Another question. Would you use pelleted goat wormer or an oral one?

I just use the paste horse wormer (1.87% Ivermectin paste) as it's easily available locally, if you get the horse graduated plungers give 3 times the horse weight dosage ... Don't worry about over dosing a little bit, so round up on the plunger dosage if it's not easy to pin point your 3X goat weight, you can overdose huge amounts of Ivermectin before it causes harm... I simply squirt the dosage into a bowl with sweet feed and stir it up give it to one goat and repeat with the others...

This was very helpful to me too as I find myself picking up two Nigerian wethers tomorrow without a lot of notice. Now I won't be up as late, reading...
Glad the thread was useful to you. I'm picking my two Nigerians after the first week of May. Needless to say, I am beyond excited!

I am keeping two Boer goat females this year (the two boys go to the fair for 4-H), so I was happy to stumble upon this thread. They are almost six months old, and are sweet AND rascally! I have been keeping some chickens in with the goats, and they do a good job "cleaning up" any spilled feed or alfalfa! The neighbor we got these from says he trains his goats to be in an electrified mobile fence a few times per week, and this way lets them graze his hillsides down. I am starting this process by halter training the girls, with the next step setting up the electric fence inside their pasture so they can get used to it. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have any tips? They would always go back to their main pasture, locked in for the night.

I have 14 Kimi Boer crossed goats. I worm 2 times yearly, c d t shots yearly, give them grain in the fall to freshen them for breeding, trim hooves as necessary. I have not had any success with electric fence. They will just walk right through it for a brier or rose bush.
Goats are truly great, we love having them around.

Sorry kiko not Kimi.
Thanks for the comments. Just did the CDT and wormer was at the end of Feb. Do you use horse ivermectin? And do you have trouble with lice? I read that can be a problem. Mine do not have it now, but I'm a worry wort.
The neighbor who does this has a herd of 14 as well. There is so much poison oak, blackberries, etc in the woods where we are, that he says as long as he practice-trains them with the electric fencing inside their pasture for a few weeks first, they stay in. Hmmm...I guess I'll have to see if the training goes well. Maybe my German Shepard pup and border collie/anatolian sheperd farm dog will have to help!

I do use equine ivermecton, because it's so easy. I also give pellitized goat wormer once or twice a year. As for lice, I will sprinkler them with powder when I trim their feet.

Some people have good luck with electric fence. With poison oak and blackberries you probably will too. My pastures have been stripped of that type of forage. I also have a fair amount of coyotes that I have to protect them from. So only woven wire for me.

The dogs will help, my wife's dachshunds love to herd goats.
As for training goats. I can only train them to come to a feed bucket. But they are very smart and you should be able to train them.

Back
Top Bottom