Advice: Get a Rooster!

Have you had an encounter with a hawk and your chickens?

• Yes.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • No.

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • Possibly.

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters

dillondonnelly1

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Hello, everyone. I have some quick advice for all of you.

Get a rooster, it's as simple as that. I know you may be hesitant because roosters can be mean and noisy, but when I say they are worth it, I mean it. Hopefully after this story, I can sway your mind.

Last week, the morning started out as normal. I got up around 6:30, let the chickens out for the day, refilled their water, and checked their food. After that, I went upstairs as normal. Around 9:00 A.M., I was sitting on my computer chair, when I heard the rooster making some strange noises. He was making a 'ba-cock" noise, and I knew it sounded kind of off, so I let it go for about two minutes. After I kept hearing it, I eventually I gave in and looked out the window.

On the deck was sitting this bird, it was the same size as one of the hens. I looked a little closer, and realized in fact, this it was not a hen. It had sharp claws and yellow feet. Its head was partially white with a curved pointy beak. I was so shocked at that moment. It seemed so surreal, because I had read about hawks attacking chickens before, but I never thought in a million years that a hawk would be after my flock.

I bolted downstairs and ran onto the deck and the hawk took off. As he was taking off, I heard one of my hens let out the loudest screech in the world and I thought for sure she was gone. When I went over the fence to check on her, she was hiding by the basement window. She looked extremely scared and stressed out. I picked her up to find that there were no claw marks of any kind on her. I believe that the hawk scared her when it flew overhead, because she was trying to hide.

One last part I must add about the rooster. I found what looked to be hawk feathers spread all across the yard. There were probably 50 hawk feathers and about three rooster feathers. I didn't witness anything, but I think he attacked the hawk and scared it onto the deck railing.

Long story short: If it weren't for the rooster, I most likely would have been there too late, and the hens would have been killed.

I think most of us would keep a roo if we were allowed to (or could get away with it). They're pretty, and they're useful, thus fulfilling my favorite quote:

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

Roos are usually good about protecting their girls. I have one with 17 hens, and he is constantly finding them food, warning them about predators. When he joined the flock, all of my hen fighting stopped, and he established order in the flock. He is rather intimidating, and tries to challenge me and my wife on occasion. My wife uses the electric fence to her advantage, and when roo tries to bite her shoes, he bites an electric strand instead. Roo and I have had it out many times, trying to bite my boots. I flick him back on his tail until he stops charging. He's never come at us with his spurs, and that is good, as that is step one of my recipe for chicken soup. All in all, I would not get rid of him, he brings far more good to the flock than bad.

I too have problems with the rooster attacking me. Different methods work for different roosters, but one I found effective is when the rooster runs at you, try to dodge him and pick him up. Make sure you get a tight grip, otherwise he will jump right out of your hands. I know, it may sound ridiculous picking him up when he's trying to peck you, but surprisingly it works. And I agree with you, a few pecks here and there are definitely worth the benefits that a rooster brings to the flock.

A few pecks here and there is totally different from a roo attacking you. That's a one way ticket to the stew pot in my world. Far too many good roosters out there getting culled to put up with one attacking me.

I think most of us would keep a roo if we were allowed to (or could get away with it). They're pretty, and they're useful, thus fulfilling my favorite quote:

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
One of my favorite quotes too!

This is my first experience with raising chickens...I have 6 hens and my husband just bought a full grown beatuiful rooster to protect them...well bad boy roo is doing his job, but when I go around the coop he wants to charge me...I have to admitt it is really intimidating. At first i thoight he was just over anxious to get his food or treats...but I feel he is really trying to attack me, I took a broom with me today and had to smack him down twice then he backed off. Is this normal? Can he sense my fear? Also is it normal for the rooster to roost at night with hens?

Yes,it's normal for him to roost with his girls. I would be very concerned about his displays of aggression though. They're not dogs who can be trained. He sees you as beneath him in the pecking order and whenever you're out of order in his opinion, he'll let you know. I grew up with a roo like that and I will NEVER put up with it again.

Back
Top Bottom