Advice-Help-shipped chickie not doing well

the simple life

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Hi everyone,
I recieved some chicks today and I have one that isn't doing so hot.
The others were jumping around in the box, doing fine.
I took them out and they drank just fine.
One little chickie was just laying down, I picked it up and she was weak, I gave her some water and she only opened her eyes once.
I put her under the heat lamp.
It looks like there is a problem with the yolk sack.
It wasn't absorbed properly and its hard and black.
I have been using a warm wet cloth on her abdomen, hand feeding her water with a dropper and keeping her warm.
There has been no improvement at all.
Any ideas?
Do you think where the sack hardend the baby didn't get all the food or nutrients her needed?

I agree with Mahonri. I had i chick i hatched myself, and the poor girl didnt properly absorb the yolk. She only survived for about 48 hours or so. Keep her warm, try to get her to drink.

Im not the best at giving advice about these topics as im kinda a newb, but i would suggest maybe putting some sugar or chick starter in the water you give her. It helped my chick.... Make sure if you use the wet cloth to wash the gunk off that she dried completely afterwards. Also, check that the other chicks arent proding and pecking her.

Hope i helped.
hugs.gif

Thanks so much you guys.
Its really hard to watch it suffer, especially where I have been trying to save it all day.
I don't think its going to make it either.
The other ones were so exhuberant, I mean jumping out of the box and everything and this little one was just curled up laying there.
Do you think its that the yolksack gets infected or that the poor thing didn't get the nutrients it was suppose to from the yolk?

If you have any (unlikely I suppose) add a couple of drops of Poly-vi-sol infant vitamin drops (comes in a liquid, get it at Walgreens) to the water. That is what I did with one who was really droopy and not eating/drinking and mostly sleeping. He came out of it though, but is still runty. For future chicks, have Poly-vi-sol handy. It's made by Enfamil.

Im not sure if it gets infected or not......my bet is on that it doesnt get enough nutrients, or that it doesnt absorb it in the right place.

Is her back end malformed? Mine was. If it is, she wont be able to use the bathroom properly.
sad.png

We had 2 chicks come with that. I made the horrible mistake of pulling it off the first chick before I knew what it was (thought it was pasty butt, real newbie here) and it died but the second one picked up and is doing fantastic today. Just a big and full of energy as the rest. Good luck, I hope your little one makes it.

Thanks to everyone who has been so nice, supportive and helpful.
Although I did everything I could for the little peep, she did not make it.
I sat up last night with her, and she just got worse and worse not able to even take anything from the eyedropper.
I knew she was in bad shape as soon as she arrived but I was really hoping for a turn around.
I feel like I did my best to help her, I think she was too far gone when she got here.
So sad when this happens, but I will look forward to raising the rest of her hatchmates.
They are little balls of energy!
Thank you all again,
Natalie

Back
Top Bottom