Advice needed ASAP...unintended (?) animal cruelty

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
I don't know if any of you remember but I talked extensively about our great neighbor who helped build our coop? He is a nice guy who goes out of his way to help us, is kind to my children, my daughter and his granddaughter play together, etc. He started raising rabbits for meat. When he started he talked about building a run so they could play in the grass, etc. but that never happened. They spend their days/nights in an uninsulated wood box barely big enough for them to turn around in. He keeps breeding them and just informed me 11 babies froze to death the other day because "the mother didn't know how to take care of them". There is NO straw in these boxes, nothing to provide a drop of warmth and the temps were dipping past freezing for quite some time. He is trying for a 4th litter (all previous have died). I am just sick thinking about his cruelty. There is no way those rabbits will survive the summer with blistering heat in those horrible wood boxes (minimal ventiliation). What would you do? Would you ignore it? Would you report him? Would you try to educate him? (He is old school 60+ years old so I don't know how interested/willing he would be to learn.) He is out there feeding them/tending to them every single day. He isn't neglecting them as far as food and water goes.

UGH! What would you DO??

you need to explain to him why they are dying and that he will save money and time by providing the proper housing. maybe pull a design or two off the internet and a list of bunny raising facts for him to read. If he is trying to breed them then it is better for him to house properly so he does not loose money. remind him that each deaqd litter is $ he could have earned. and that spending money on feed for bunnies that will not produce is like throwing money out the window. Good Luck.

Since he helped you with a coop, offer to help him build proper housing for those poor bunnies. As delicately as possible, offer him the info he needs to insure their survival. Print off (as prev. mentioned) hutch designs, feed, shelter, nesting, etc. info to give to him. Touchy situation. Good luck

I operate a horse rescue. I would suggest talking with the animal control officer of your county. You probably won't get that far, but it should be done. It needs to be on record somewhere. In the past, I have asked the officer to assist me in educating the owner. It is tricky to go this route because you could cause bad feelings between you and your neighbor. Also, several counties aren't even aware of what legally defines animal cruelty - and there are people working diligently to get those laws changed.

Talking with your neighbor and offering assistance from the point of losing money by not taking care of them (as pointed out in an previous post, I believe) is a good start. A backup plan would be to talk with law enforcement. Document all your conversations.

Donna-Michelle

Considering I have ZERO skills with building anything I dont' think my offering to help build anything would work. Our printer doens't work. Maybe I could pick up a book on breeding rabbits from Rural King and tell him I saw it and thought of him? We have given each other's families little gifts before (mostly food exchanged) so I don't think he would find it odd. I just feel soooo bad for the rabbits.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea. I understand your frustration. I would do my best to keep it positive. I know there've been a post about calling animal control, but I agree with FourWindsEquine... you don't want to have an angry neighbor. Maybe knowledge of saving $$$ will help. Keep us posted!

I like the idea of offering him help. Pretend you have an interest in Wabbits, but seeing how much trouble he is having you are not as inclined to take on Wabbits. Ask him if you get some straw, and see IF that he will let you help the Wabbits, and make them a bigger box. Many places have scrap pallets, get a pallet and convert it into a Wabbitat for the widdle fellas. I would avoid bringing in any OTHER parties to this situation. He is your neighbor. not John Wayne Gacy. No sense startin an escalation over his ignorance to Wabbits and their feelings. Just act like you want to pay him back, and by showing interest, MAYBE he'll get the hint that you want to see his Wabbits as happy as your chickens.,

Last edited:
Considering I have ZERO skills with building anything I dont' think my offering to help build anything would work.

You would be surprised at what constitutes as helping. Just holding things for him while he nails or saws etc is a GREAT help. You can say to him..."well, I'm not great at building things but I think we should get that run made for your bunnies so they aren't so crowded and I will do the best I can to help you out since you were so nice and helped me out " Something like that. Sometimes just being around him so he has someone to talk to helps.​

The rabbits have the basic necessities: food, shelter (albeit not to your liking), and water. There is nothing to report. I suggest you do as others have advised and find a way of suggesting better housing if he's wanting to raise kits. Just off handedly mention some stuff you found researching on the internet, or that you had spoken to some breeders and they advised you on the housing needs.

Back
Top Bottom