ADVICE NEEDED: Baby not thriving, lethargic

Splendid Medley

Chirping
Jan 3, 2018
New England
Good Morning,

One of my Lavender Orpington chicks is not thriving and not growing as quickly as the other chicks, however her behavior was totally normal until yesterday evening. She became lethargic and shaky and was not really eating or drinking. I took her out of their brooder and held her in my lap under my hands with a heating pad on lap, she slept for a few minutes, and then I got her to drink a little sugar water with acv and eat some mashed egg. I kept her out and warm (and continued to offer her water and egg) until the rest of the chicks (there are 9 including her) settled down, they get chaotic and run around chasing each other before they finally settle in. Once they all settled, I put her back for the night since she was sleeping on my lap soundly. The brooder has a heat lamp on one end, and I was given a brinsea heater which is on the other outside of the range of the heat lamp. The chicks tend to prefer to sleep under the lamp. When I put her back she did not join the chicks, she sat right down by herself where I put her. I moved her under the brinsea and prompted two others to join her, they snuggled right down. They stayed there most of the night. LOL, I know this because I didn't think she was going to make it and kept peeking in on the chicks.

She did make it through the night, here is what's going on with her today:
  • Not as active as others but not as lethargic as yesterday night
  • Gave her cuddles, egg, and more sugar/acv water
  • Put the chick feed (medicated) on a flat surface (a Tupperware lid) and she ate along with other chicks then drank water
  • Huddled in corner of brooder under lamp, trying to snuggle with her bestie, still shaky and tired
  • Poo is clear but not sticky, not foamy, almost looks like gel.
  • QUESTION: Should I separate her for the day or until she is better? I don't want her to be stressed away from her sisters
More background info: My chicks were hatched the week of May 5th and May 10th at a local farm in our area. They were hatched by hens. The lavender orpingtons are the youngest by a few days. I got them on the 15th. Brooder is in my entryway which is same comfortable ambient temp as house. I have no other birds right now. My previous flock was acquired in 2015 as adult birds due to my friend hatching too many for her property, coop, and lifestyle. I had a flock of 6 healthy black orpingtons for 5 years until the roof of the run was breached by a band of horrible raccoons last August. So this is my first time with chicks.

Any advice you can give is appreciated!!! Pics below.

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 8.31.42 AM.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 7
So this chick is about 18 days old now? Certain ones can passed through hatching eggs from parents. Sticky eye drainage could be a sign of a respiratory infection. Do you see any eye bubbles or swollen eyelids? Does she sneeze? Tylosin powder in the water from a vet or here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

might help treat it, if that is what is wrong. Make sure that she drinks a lot of the liquid. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days.

So this chick is about 18 days old now? Certain ones can passed through hatching eggs from parents. Sticky eye drainage could be a sign of a respiratory infection. Do you see any eye bubbles or swollen eyelids? Does she sneeze? Tylosin powder in the water from a vet or here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

might help treat it, if that is what is wrong. Make sure that she drinks a lot of the liquid. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days.
This was really good advice. The chick is improving. She's acting like a normal chick, but gets tired easily and sleeps a lot. Still a massive improvement and I am hopeful she's turned a corner.

Back
Top Bottom