advice needed - broody or ill?

karenm52

Songster
5 Years
May 14, 2018
SF Bay Area - East Bay
returning from a weekend away, one of my black copper marans has no desire to leave the nest box, not even to eat live crickets!! this is day 3. the first day I petted her and she did not complain (she is the bully of the flock - usually on the aggressive side). I picked her up, still no complaining! checked her all over - appears healthy. day 2 - petted her, she growled (not unusual), I let her be. day 3 - petted her, no growl but talking quietly. I picked her up again - no feather on her underside area - skin appears healthy, not mites, irritation or inflammation. so maybe not sick but broody? she must be eating although I have yet to see her leave the nest.

advice?
ty

She could be a nice broody. Is she still alert and does she get up to eat?
yes, I have seen her get up to eat. I offered her a treat while she was nesting and she ate it. still sitting. when she gets up my other three girls lay in her box, she then sits on them. she does let me lift her and remove the "real" eggs - I have two "fake" eggs in two of the three nest boxes - she moved both under her!

yes, I have seen her get up to eat. I offered her a treat while she was nesting and she ate it. still sitting. when she gets up my other three girls lay in her box, she then sits on them. she does let me lift her and remove the "real" eggs - I have two "fake" eggs in two of the three nest boxes - she moved both under her!
Yes I’m guessing she’s broody. My maran does this too

Broodiness can sometimes last for weeks and weeks. When there is no intention of allowing a broody hen to hatch chicks (or give her feedstore chicks to adopt), it is best to "break" the broodiness as soon as a chicken keeper realizes a hen is broody. This is done by relocating the hen to a separate pen (a wire dog cage will do) for a few days, and not allowing her out of "broody jail" until her broody behaviors cease.

Broodiness lasts until the hen gets bored (more often than not) or she’ll perch on the eggs for three weeks until they hatch. Occasionally a broody will just pancake herself over unfertilized eggs, wooden eggs, or even no eggs. That’s when you gotta take action.
what action do you recommend? she sits on the other girls eggs until I take them away and is now starting to get cranky and peck at me as I take away the eggs!

what action do you recommend? she sits on the other girls eggs until I take them away and is now starting to get cranky and peck at me as I take away the eggs!
Sometimes just taking her off the nest, giving her some treats in the run, and letting her hang for a bit is enough. If she’s really determined, you may have to shut her out of the nest, or put an ice pack under her when she sits on it. As a last resort, you can put her in an elevated cage for a day (with food and water ofc), with very few bedding. This serves to cool her brood patch and abdomen. Hope this help!!

Back
Top Bottom