Advice needed building a run using 2*4

moorembe

Hatching
May 8, 2023
quebec
I built a shed coop this spring alone and with the help of my dad lifting the heavy stuff. i used a shed plan and that went well, now i'm building the run and i haven't found a plan that would suit me which is 8*10 with a lean to roof. I'm avoiding using 4*4 posts because i wont have the time to dig and its honestly so much work with other chores so the easy way was just 2*4s. i have checked online and gotten a few ideas. i can only get 3ft wide hardware cloth so i put the spacing at 3ft at centre. here is a picture of the frames, only 2 sides for now and i'm not sure if they will be strong enough to hold a roof and snow load, i have attached it to the coop which is pretty sturdy and will add in a 3rd wall and rafters on top for the roof. my ladies are here and its been so hot so they need this run up as soon as possible. woodworking experts please share advice.thank you
IMG_6923.PNG

I’m not a good constructor but always have lots of ideas to solve problems.

I understand the hwc is the right size to attach it to the frame? If the third frame has the right size you can connect it with steel hooks or long screws. If everything is put together the whole will be much more sturdy.

While finishing the roof of the run you could add some temporary fabric (netting/old sail/curtain/tent) on top. This way the chickens can get out in the fresh air asap , have some shade and be safe for most predators. I don’t even have a roof, but used cat netting and netting for big birds 🦅 on top of my runs. But this is probably a no go with lots of snow.

Next thing to do : make an apron with hwc or put sidewalk tiles around the run against digging predators.

I’m not a good constructor but always have lots of ideas to solve problems.

I understand the hwc is the right size to attach it to the frame? If the third frame has the right size you can connect it with steel hooks or long screws. If everything is put together the whole will be much more sturdy.

While finishing the roof of the run you could add some temporary fabric (netting/old sail/curtain/tent) on top. This way the chickens can get out in the fresh air asap , have some shade and be safe for most predators. I don’t even have a roof, but used cat netting and netting for big birds 🦅 on top of my runs. But this is probably a no go with lots of snow.

Next thing to do : make an apron with hwc or put sidewalk tiles around the run against digging predators.
thank you.yes the HC is the right size for the frame, since i put the 2*4 wide side i wasnt sure if it will be sturdy enough.i figured i need the surface area to staple in the HC. hopefully it will turn out ok, i'm ready to be done.

For summer, add the HWC to the walls, make a HW cloth apron and attach it to your walls at the bottom. Cover the top with bird netting or shade cloth, etc. But for winter, you really do need to put in some 4x4 and a roof like on your shed. Snow load is a big deal, IMO, and if you have any top at all on your run, you'll need to account for snow load. But you can continue your build this summer while the chickens enjoy their run.

since i put the 2*4 wide side i wasnt sure if it will be sturdy enough.
Not really a good way to go for strength to support a solid roof.

i figured i need the surface area to staple in the HC.
1 1/2" width should handle staples. You'll want to overlap the HC by an inch or so.
And use pneumatically driven staples ~3/4" long, not those little Arrow 50 type staples.

i'm not sure if they will be strong enough to hold a roof and snow load,
How much snow do you get?
Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @moorembe
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1685721858590.png

For summer, add the HWC to the walls, make a HW cloth apron and attach it to your walls at the bottom. Cover the top with bird netting or shade cloth, etc. But for winter, you really do need to put in some 4x4 and a roof like on your shed. Snow load is a big deal, IMO, and if you have any top at all on your run, you'll need to account for snow load. But you can continue your build this summer while the chickens enjoy their run.
how many 4*4 should i add 2 or 4 in the middle too? then 2 by 4s.

how many 4*4 should i add 2 or 4 in the middle too? then 2 by 4s.
I dont know. I'd recommend you look at three sided sheds/barns with angled roofs that are appropriate for your area and can handle the snow load, similar to the roof angle on your coop, and see how far apart they space the supports, and what size they are, and how they attach the roof. Then you can build the shed, but not add the sides. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom