Advice needed: exposed and torn crop

Ashmarie621

Songster
Jul 16, 2020
Well, it has been an interesting summer of injuries for us! Yesterday my son found our little chick in the grower just laying still, and upon investigation she had a hole in her chest! She must have torn it herself while picking around or been picked on by a bigger pullet. I brought her inside and sure enough she has torn skin on her chest and also a torn, exposed crop (found that out after watching her drink water and seeing it drip right out!). I cleaned her up as best as i could and used superglue to try to patch up the tear In the crop as she is small and I’ve been advised here before not to stitch. She made it through the night, and today I did a bit more gluing to the areas that seemed to still have a small leak. She’s eating, drinking a bit, and although tired, coming along. Ive got antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) on the edges of the wound, and it’s starting to dry on the surface. My question is this: assuming i can keep infection at bay, and the crop sealed up so she can retain food and water, can the skin heal around the exposed crop? Can she heal like that? There doesn’t seem to be a way to “push” the crop back in the skin and close it at this point. I’ve clipped the feathers and looked. Any advice is appreciated. We live in the country and a vet isn’t really an option as there’s no way my hubby will support spending hundreds on a homegrown chick. Thanks!

When I was a child I looked after a Peaceful Dove who burst open its crop when it flew into the wall. The Dove healed up despite the fact that I likely never considered things like infection or gluing the crop together. It is also possible I have forgotten that I actually did take some sort of action or that my parents helped out. However, maybe the chick would be okay as long as it has constant access to food and water so that it can ingest frequent small amounts to compensate for any leakages?

In regards to the crop not being covered in skin, could the skin be drawn back over the crop? Maybe place a small band-aid to hold the skin together? I am assuming that the skin has parted and that it is stretchy/elastic. It is hard to know what could work without examining the injury.

I tried to see if that was possible, and had suture strips at the ready, but it doesn’t seem to have that much “give”. It’s crazy how fast their thin skin starts to heal. As she progresses, I’ll see what’s possible i guess. She’s got food and water with her at all times and is eating frequently. Thank you for the response!

Not a problem!
I am sorry I can't be more helpful. Its stressful when you don't know what to do and acting promptly can be vital.

Have you tried a google search for birds in general who have exposed crops? I imagine that this is not an uncommon occurrence for our feathered friends.

Have you seen the following post from this thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hole-in-crop-food-coming-out-help.1391650/#post-22841491

Here's my advice. Calm down. This isn't the emergency you fear it is.

What I would do is clean the wound with soap and water, and then spray Vetericyn on it. Then put your hen to bed in a crate inside and let her crop empty overnight.

In the morning, clean the wound again as you did the night before. Then inspect the wound to see if it goes straight through the outer skin and the skin of the crop. Two layers.

Super glue is the best alternative since trying to suture chicken skin is not easy since it's pretty thin and the stitches may tear. You will need a helper to hold the chicken flat on her back. Cover her face lightly to calm her.

You will need to glue the inner tear first. Apply the glue and hold the edges in place for one full minute. Then repeat the same with the outer skin tear.

You're done. Just offer liquids and soft wet food for the next 24 hours. She'll be fine and so will you.

I didn’t see that one, thank you! Looks like I did the best i could, but i don’t think the skin has enough stretch to pull that second layer over. I’ll let her be for a bit so she can rest, and make sure that first later is sealed up, and then maybe try that second layer again.

Back
Top Bottom