Advice needed - Hatching duck eggs may be in distress?

Hiya guys so quick update, the one that my duck hatched sadly died, however I dont think it absorbed all its yolk sac as it was very weak when I found it, so as much as I tried to keep it alive I expected that anyway. I read somewhere about ducks killing their hatchlings and in hindsight I think thats what nearly happened. I have a feeling she might be abandoning the rest as she is a lot more on and off them than usual, however they are showing absolutely zero signs of hatching atm. I will keep watching them. I dont hold it against her because, despit the fact I bought her she and the one I got with her might have well have been rescues so I wouldnt be surprised if thats what she knows to do. (I got her about laying ages and the second she layed an egg with me she went broody this was probably the 4th time she has and I didnt stop it in time)
20220627_085141.jpg

The one that I hatched is okish, happy and fluctuates between hyperactive and absolutely KO however since i got it out it has had a flat foot on the side that was pressed against the egg wall. I am getting some niacin and might make a shoe to sort that foot out if the niacin doesnt work.
20220627_082713.jpg

The one that was still waiting to hatch is not going well. It had managed to break a bit of the membrane where I peeled of that bit of shell so it could breath. However this morning I have found it gasping in the shell and im not sure what to do as I can still see blood vessels and the membrane inside has a layer of slimy stuff on compared to the other that was solid and papery. Occasionally it is wiggling its head like its trying to get out but nothing much. It started hatching saturday if that helps anyones advice. What do I do?

Good morning
Is the one in the pic the baby you are talking about that needs to hatch still ?
If so it’s wiggling cause it’s natural when the cap is gone to push out even if they aren’t ready yet.
I would get ready in case it does and still has yolk to absorb
Get a little bowl or cup that you can place baby back in the lower part of the shell and in the bowl upright
Wrap it with dry paper towel so you can also keep its head and neck from flopping
Take a pic of the yolk sac so we can help give you an estimate of time to absorb
If it’s a tiny little yolk then I skip the shell part and keep baby in the bowl in a dry paper towel so it can’t be moving all over and rupture the yolk
As for the goo stuff take a dry Q tip and gently turn it between baby and membrane. This will get it out so it doesn’t dry and glue like cement to baby
Don’t go in far just around the open area slightly.
What time did Baby external pip ? Is it still yawning and chewing ?

Back
Top Bottom