Advice needed, my ducks are dying

clkirk

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2015
Waynesfield, Ohio
We have have lost 2 ducks in about a week and do not know what is happening. The first duck we lost was a male Pekin about 4 months old. We thought he had limberneck. We detoxified him by using charcoal and epsom salts and gave him antibiotics for about a week. He was showing improvement, and then took a sudden turn for the worse. He could not uses his legs and was trying to get around by pushing his wings on the ground. It was so sad, we had to put him down. One foot and leg felt hot and he seemed feverish and was shaking. I could not find any injury to the foot or leg.

This morning one duck was off by its self which is very unusual. They mostly all stay together (3 khakis and 2 pekins). A few minutes later when I fed them the missing duck showed up but stayed in the pond while the others came to eat (this is also unusual).

Last week we drained the duck pond and refilled adding a few chlorine pellets to try to kill and bacteria that may be present. I feed the ducks chicken layer feed.

I appreciate any advice, help or ideas anyone may have.

Was the pond drained and refilled before or after the issues with the first duck?
How many is a 'few chlorine pellets'

The pond was drained after the first duck got sick and all ducks were isolated from it for a week. It was refilled and 3 1/2 ounces tablets were used 8 days ago. The directions say to use 4 per 10000 gallons. Our pond is approx 15x25 and 3-4ft deep.

They are totally free range, no confinement - lots of space. The roam our yard, garden and pasture. We do not use any chemicals on our land or garden. We got the khaki's as ducklings in March and the pekins in April. They do not get oyster shell or grit because they can get plenty from their environment. They seem to be happy, they follow us around and are friendly. We also have pasture raised chickens and steers.

Is there something different I should be supplementing them with? They get layer feed in addition to what they find free ranging.

They are totally free range, no confinement - lots of space. The roam our yard, garden and pasture. We do not use any chemicals on our land or garden.  We got the khaki's as ducklings in March and the pekins in April. They do not get oyster shell or grit because they can get plenty from their environment. They seem to be happy, they follow us around and are friendly. We also have pasture raised chickens and steers.

Is there something different I should be supplementing them with? They get layer feed in addition to what they find free ranging.

Are they laying? Layer feed should never be fed to non-laying birds, and if you can provide grit that's good (but not necessary, if they are digesting their food fine!). Have they been in any contact with any other birds or travelled lately?

Are they laying? Layer feed should never be fed to non-laying birds, and if you can provide grit that's good (but not necessary, if they are digesting their food fine!). Have they been in any contact with any other birds or travelled lately?

They are not laying yet and they have contact with our chicken which are healthy. They have never left our homestead.

They are not laying yet and they have contact with our chicken which are healthy. They have never left our homestead.

Okay, well take them off the layer feed now. They only need layer feed as soon as they lay their first egg. Then watch them, and see what happens. If you can get ahold of a vet, ask them what they think, and of course keep their number for future reference.

What should I feed them if I take them off of layer feed? We feed only non-gmo feed. I have access to broiler/starter and layer feed also non-gmo corn.

Back
Top Bottom