Advice needed new hen missing feathers

Johill

Chirping
Sep 16, 2019
Hastings, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,
I picked up two new Silver laced Wyandotte hens on the weekend. One of them is missing a lot of her saddle and tail feathers. I quarantined and examined them, no mites or lice to be seen. Only one of the he s is missing feathers... a assumed a roosters favourite, but find the missing tail feathers odd. Any one experienced something like this?

Attachments

• 0B76F799-2F64-421D-8A30-68DE16DE5BDC.jpeg
    0B76F799-2F64-421D-8A30-68DE16DE5BDC.jpeg
    675.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 871E85DC-28A2-46F9-AE5B-7B025A2ADA01.jpeg
    871E85DC-28A2-46F9-AE5B-7B025A2ADA01.jpeg
    715 KB · Views: 16
Do you have any story on them as far as age, what kind of set up, number in the flock? I think she looks perky to me. If I didn't see mites or lice, and she was eating and laying, and active I think I would keep an eye on her, but I would expect her to improve. She may not get feathers back until she molts.

Do you have any story on them as far as age, what kind of set up, number in the flock? I think she looks perky to me. If I didn't see mites or lice, and she was eating and laying, and active I think I would keep an eye on her, but I would expect her to improve. She may not get feathers back until she molts.
I got them from a farm near by... they are last years hatch she said, so just over a year... they were from a large farm seemed to have three large areas for chickens two designated for specific breeds (smaller groups under 10 chickens in each I’d say) and then a mix flock in a large barn area (free range during the day) there was more different breeds and a couple roosters (maybe 30 chickens) I noticed a few chickens that were missing there saddle feathers. She is eating and exploring more and more with the rest of my flock, and she is laying.
Thank you

She may not get feathers back until she molts.
Yeppers!

and she is laying.
Well, that is good!
Has she laid more than once?
Often they will lay an egg the first day in their new home, but that egg was started before they were moved. Might not lay again until they are fully settled in.

Last edited:
Well once, I had a bobcat, hit a rooster like that, he lost his entire tail. Looked so funny standing there, almost like a little man, he had to stand straighter up because I think it affected his balance. Very seldom would a bob cat let a hen go, but she may have got lucky.

Who knows, I would not worry about it, I think she will heal up, but not till Christmas after molt.

Back
Top Bottom