Dunwoody-Jen

Chirping
Feb 23, 2019
Here’s the situation. I have 1 laying adult hen, 9 months old. I also have 4 chicks, 11 weeks old , that I have been slowly introducing over the past month. Everyone is co-habiting, but they are separated by baby gates, both in the run and in the coop at night. There have been minor skirmishes during free range time, but no major aggression. Mostly, big girl is interested in Little’s food. Tonight our temps will be down in the low 20’s and I’m considering removing the separation in the coop so that they can all huddle together for warmth. This will be our coldest night since owning chickens. Bad idea? Good idea? I kind of feel like it is time but the chicks are still much smaller then the hen. What say you, chicken experts?

Well I'm no expert, but I have one 7 month old who has been roosting by herself, and it was about 14 degrees last night. She is fine this morning. She is the grumpy chicken of the bunch. No one wants to be her roost buddy. (But she lays pretty eggs, so....:rolleyes:)
Are the younger chickens roosting? Or would they all be in a pile on the floor?

Well I'm no expert, but I have one 7 month old who has been roosting by herself, and it was about 14 degrees last night. She is fine this morning. She is the grumpy chicken of the bunch. No one wants to be her roost buddy. (But she lays pretty eggs, so....:rolleyes:)

The littles haven’t been roosting because they are in large crate inside the coop. I suspect that a few of them would like to though. My big girl was friendly with her former coop mates but I know the dynamics are different now. Mostly it’s the size difference that has me worried. If big decides to be mean, Little’s won’t stand much of a chance

I'm not an expert at all, but when it comes to integration, each person and each flock is different. You can try to combine them and watch them to see how it works out. If there is any aggression, then you can separate again. I have some chicks at 11 weeks that I wont integrate until they are the same size as my hens, but that is easy for me in my situation. If I had only one hen and a bunch of chicks, I might try earlier. Being the lone older pullet (she's not a hen until she's a year old), yours might be more tolerant of the young ones. She will definitely let them know she is boss, but hopefully not do any harm.

Honestly, if it were me, I would wait a while longer. I know some squabbling is expected, but I get anxious when my girls get pecked on very much. As long as your one single chicken is dry and not in a draft, she will be fine.

Honestly, if it were me, I would wait a while longer. I know some squabbling is expected, but I get anxious when my girls get pecked on very much. As long as your one single chicken is dry and not in a draft, she will be fine.

I think you are right, my instincts are saying not to rush this. I guess I just thought with the extra cold factor there that it might be a good time.

Yes they sleep in separate “quarters “ inside the coop. Big girl roosts on her side and littles huddle together sans roost on their side
Sounds like they aren't very 'separated'.
Pics of your coop would help, so we can see the 'separation'.
But I'd just have a second roost for the littles and let them figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom