Advice needed on raccoon vs hawk vs coyote

HollysFlock

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Indiana
Over the past few months, we have lost 8 hens during daylight hours and I'd like your input on the scenarios as we are clearly dealing with multiple predators. Our birds usually free-range, but they were confined after each death for 5 day-2 weeks depending on the weather.

Initially, one bird (Rhode Island Red, Wyandotte, Easter Egger) disappeared once every 1-2 weeks with nothing but a pile of feathers in a weedy area behind the grain bin. Our neighbor saw the feathers, so I can only relate his statement that there was no meat, no organs, no bones - but seemingly all of the feathers. This is inconsistent with a hawk, from my experience, but I'm uncertain what it is. We lost three birds this way.

Two weeks later, a hawk attacked our Barred Rock rooster twice in the same day. He's huge, and I can't believe anything attacked him! There were two distinct piles of feathers in the grass and once I found him, I confirmed these were from his lower lack and tail. He had no physical injuries and neither his beak nor his talons showed evidence that he fought. Clearly, a hawk.

Then, I watched a hawk attempt to attack an Australorp. The Australorp screamed and the hawk left. I was standing 15 feet away.

Shortly thereafter, we lost a hen to a hawk. There was a depression in the grass, a few feathers around the outside of the depression, and a missing Rhode Island Red. Clearly, a hawk.

Two weeks later, three hens gone (White Leghorn, Australorp, Barred Rock). Simply missing without any trace at all. When we went to shut them up for the night, we could hear the coyotes calling at the edge of the field and woods.

Clearly, we are not free-ranging for the foreseeable future. We live in a rural area with known possums, coyotes, and a raccoon family. I set live traps and caught two raccoons and the barn cat. Fortunately, the (now neutered) barn cat is now in our garage, so we set leg traps (I know, I'm not happy about it either) for coyotes which have done nothing at all. Interestingly, I haven't actually seen the hawks around since the birds have been under lockdown.

I know that hawks are clearly an issue, but I can't imagine them taking three birds in one day. And the initial killings with just the huge piles of feathers in the open are completely baffling. Coyotes take their prey home, yes? Raccoons don't eat the entire bird. Is it plausible that the raccoon killed them, then a turkey vulture cleaned up?

I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Over the past few months, we have lost 8 hens and I'd like your input on the scenarios as we are clearly dealing with multiple predators.  Our birds usually free-range, but they were confined after each death for 5 day-2 weeks depending on the weather.  

Initially, one bird (Rhode Island Red, Wyandotte, Easter Egger) disappeared once every 1-2 weeks with nothing but a pile of feathers in a weedy area behind the grain bin.  Our neighbor saw the feathers, so I can only relate his statement that there was no meat, no organs, no bones - but seemingly all of the feathers.  This is inconsistent with a hawk, from my experience, but I'm uncertain what it is.  We lost three birds this way.

Two weeks later, a hawk attacked our Barred Rock rooster twice in the same day.  He's huge, and I can't believe anything attacked him!  There were two distinct piles of feathers in the grass and once I found him, I confirmed these were from his lower lack and tail.  He had no physical injuries and neither his beak nor his talons showed evidence that he fought.  Clearly, a hawk.  

Then, I watched a hawk attempt to attack an Australorp.  The Australorp screamed and the hawk left.  I was standing 15 feet away.  

Shortly thereafter, we lost a hen to a hawk.  There was a depression in the grass, a few feathers around the outside of the depression, and a missing Rhode Island Red.  Clearly, a hawk.

Two weeks later, three hens gone (White Leghorn, Australorp, Barred Rock).  Simply missing without any trace at all.  When we went to shut them up for the night, we could hear the coyotes calling at the edge of the field and woods.  

Clearly, we are not free-ranging for the foreseeable future.  We live in a rural area with known possums, coyotes, and a raccoon family.  I set live traps and caught two raccoons and the barn cat.  Fortunately, the (now neutered) barn cat is now in our garage, so we set leg traps (I know, I'm not happy about it either) for coyotes which have done nothing at all.  Interestingly, I haven't actually seen the hawks around since the birds have been under lockdown.  

I know that hawks are clearly an issue, but I can't imagine them taking three birds in one day.  And the initial killings with just the huge piles of feathers in the open are completely baffling.  Coyotes take their prey home, yes?  Raccoons don't eat the entire bird.  Is it plausible that the raccoon killed them, then a turkey vulture cleaned up?  

I'm open to any and all ideas.  Thanks for your help!
hm, sounds like you have a cat - type predator on your first one, piles of feathers, no birds found. The depression in the grass could also be a cat - type predator.
Doubtful that it was a hawk and a full grown RIR maybe an eagle? if not the cat.

Coyotes are a good choice (or dogs or foxes) for the three swept up without a trace.

Also, I believe a raccoon *will* sometimes pluck some of the bird and take off with the carcass. These could account for other losses, if not the cat.

Best way to find out for sure what you have is put up trail cameras.

Last edited:
I never even thought about the cat! He's been hanging around since last fall and it has been just this spring that we've had more trouble. In Indiana, we don't have big cats, so I'm limited to feral cats in this category. It would be a shame if I just paid to neuter my killer.

I was also skeptical that a hawk could lift a full grown RIR, but I thought perhaps I was naive. There were no depressions around the central depression, and it was 4-5 feet from gravel. It'd be quite a leap for the cat, but maybe.

Thanks for your input, subhanalah!

Any thoughts on coyote/dog/fox control? We have heard more coyotes this year than before, and we've even seen a few in the fields which is unusual. As noted, we set leg traps, but nothing has visited.

You've seen a house cat jump up onto a 7 foot tall refrigerator from the ground haven't you? Don't let the size fool you, they are little athlete predators.
A fox or dog could easily make that jump too, just saying don't underestimate them!

Time of day of the attacks? That can sometimes help.

I suppose that is true. I have a lame dog and little experience with cats, so my understanding of their agility may be skewed. I can imagine him jumping onto the chicken from that distance, but it seems it'd be hard to then jump away with the bird in his mouth.

That particular attack was in the middle of a clear day as was the rooster vs bird of prey incident. The three that disappeared together were at the end of the day, and honestly I'm uncertain about the timing on the first few.

I suppose that is true.  I have a lame dog and little experience with cats, so my understanding of their agility may be skewed.  I can imagine him jumping onto the chicken from that distance, but it seems it'd be hard to then jump away with the bird in his mouth.  

That particular attack was in the middle of a clear day as was the rooster vs bird of prey incident.  The three that disappeared together were at the end of the day, and honestly I'm uncertain about the timing on the first few. 
how old was the RIR? How much did she weigh? If she was 4 pounds or less, a large hawk feeding a family could easily take her.

I don't know her weight, but she was 3 years old and healthy. I guess that'd make her 6-7 pounds? I've seen plenty of hawks around, so it seems a likely culprit if they are indeed that strong. What baffles me most is the first piles of feathers and the last group of three. Hawks will occasionally get a chicken and there's not too much I can do about that, but it seems the others are land creatures. Possibly coyotes, possibly raccoons, possibly the barn cat, possible something else altogether. I just with I knew what to go after.

Yes, I'm going to borrow some from a friend, but it'll be several days before I can arrange for that. Thank you for your help!

Scratch hawk, owl, raccoon and oppossum from list. Retain red fox, coyote, grey fox and bobcat as you likely have all three in your area. Management options for canids similar. Shoot, trap them or confine birds somehow are the cheaper options. I have used electrified poultry netting against all. Dogs another long-term option enabling more complete free-range keeping.

Back
Top Bottom