Advice needed on torn toenail (dog)

IcarusSomnio

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Vernon County, MO
I just got back in, congratulating my girl on an EXCELLENT job, she's improved SO much with listening to commands and tuned in quick to my commands. I had to use my "LISTEN NOW OR I'LL EAT YOU" voice once, but just as a quick reminder than I'M the one giving out the commands and SHE'S the one following them. One of my Dutch bunnies got out (that rabbit is a real Houdini) and Hazel had her corralled up beautifully. NO use of teeth, just penned into a corner that she thought was secure, but the bunny still slipped away. We're going to catch her tomorrow and putting her in a (hopefully) inescapable cage. Anyways!

I was checking her paws for any cuts since she knocked over some glass and noticed that she ripped the top of a toenail off. It's not bleeding, she's not licking it or bothering it, it doesn't actually seem to hurt. It looks scabbed up. She just spend five minuets having a really enthusiastic roll on the carpet whilst trying to catch her tail, didn't act sensitive when I looked at her paws or touched the un-torn area. But, being the worry wart that I am, I'm wondering if I should maybe put something on it or wrap it. The nail looks a little bruised, but nothing serious otherwise. Definitely not infected. Her nails are pretty short, I trim and file the ends when needed but she keeps them worn down pretty well by herself.

I doesn't look really fresh, but it could very well be from today. We spent about an hour out in the neighbors field today, Hazel zipped around at Mach 5 then they both explored an uncleared, slightly wooded part. No limping/pain/etc. I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't been checking her paws!

She spent about an hour sleeping with her front paws (the messy toenail is on her front left paw) tucked up, then bounded off the couch when I said "Wanna go outside?". She's now twitching and snoring, probably dreaming of that Houdini bunny. I was just looking at her and started worrying that her nails are actually too short....but apparently there just right! They don't touch the floor when she stands normally but she still has a decent sized nail. Looking at her I actually need to file her front toes just a bit.

I've been trying to get my Weim's quicks pushed back, his nails are nightmare. His are the flatish, long kind, a far cry from my girls short neat ones. You can just barely see the quick, so you have to examine each nail carefully. He HATES getting his nails clipped and his paws are ticklish. I usually end up just laying on him and give lots of treats. I usually take off just a bit so it goes quicker and he's not too terribly traumatized by it all.

Should be fine. I'd make sure it doesn't have anything hanging out that could snag on something and tear it off. I like using a small battery powered dremel with a drum sander for the nails.

One of my girls has a funky nail that is constantly tearing off. It'll bleed for a bit then it dries up and grows back.

Your best bet is to leave it alone & let it heal on its own. She will keep it clean if need be.
As for the length of the nails... if she is standing & they do not touch the floor they are a very good length. For your weimie... next time he is at the vets & is under for something, you can always ask the vet to cut & cauterize his nails short. Another method for shortening nails is to walk him on concrete surfaces a lot! That will naturally file his nails down for you.

Back
Top Bottom