Advice needed on treatment for mites

How do you know if your chickens have mites or lice? I mean what are the symptoms you will see?
You examine them closely on regular basis.
They can carry quite a load without exhibiting many outward symptoms.

How to check them over real well for mites and/or lice:

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

How do you know if your chickens have mites or lice? I mean what are the symptoms you will see?
I agree with @aart. I have a headlamp I use and after the birds roost at night I go out and check them and I have both of my hands free to check the birds. I do have nightlights in all of the coops but they aren't bright enough so I wear the headlamp. Works great. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom