Advice needed, please! I'm not a beginner but this has me stumped 🤔😟

As kind hearted as you are, I'd do some careful introspection that you are not enabling a hoarding situation. Your friend may need therapy, it sure sounds like she can't emotionally handle any of this, and she has shown herself unable to care for them. With such high numbers and constant reproduction this could still spiral out of your control.
If I were in your shoes I would organize a rooster cull. Get some friends to help. Round them up with feed or while they're roosting.
Then rehome the healthiest hens with full disclosure. You can rescue all those girls you can't rehome and hopefully that won't be more than you can handle long term.

If it gets too bad, please don't be afraid to call in animal control. You are a concerned friend and not to blame, and professionals have some experience helping hoarders.
Professional help was, and still is, definitely needed. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing else I can do to try to help her in that area. I tried talking with her in just about every way I could think of, I even had a few of her old friends chime in with support. No luck. Her grief goes far past what a therapist would call "normal grieving", I believe it's what is called "traumatic grief". If I were to remove all of the chickens all at once, it would be traumatic for her. In her mind, she's taking fantastic care of her Mom's chickens.....🙏
I have a wonderful family who does eat meat, and they've been slowly taking the extra roosters away at night, with my help. (Coyotes? I thought that was more clear, lol)
The hen's I've been doing the same. However, I don't want to get rid of all of them, the woman is not totally aware of all the chickens, after all, they were her Mom's. I was able to find a new home for the 9 babies! That's a start. My end goal is to get the flock of PLC's down to a reasonable number, with no bachelor roosters. I'd love to be able to allow the flocks to mingle, but first I need to get the PLC'S healthy.
I'm trying to think of how to explain this....it's a weird situation. Okay. In the owners mind, I don't believe she can handle the idea that her Mom's precious chickens aren't perfectly happy and healthy. The chickens were always her Mom's thing. It's difficult.

Update 10/2022:

Well, after a very lucky couple of coyotes made a successful raid on my coop (I lost my jerk rooster, "Hey-Hey", along with a Welsummer pullet who'd already been sold! 🙄😳😔Thankfully, the purchaser was kind, and she graciously accepted a different girl! ), and I failed yet again, to convince the proprietor to do what she needed to do, I decided to call it quits. After moving the remainder of my beautiful flock to a dear friends home/chicken rescue, I set about finding my own safe place.
.........(a really long time happened!).................
As of a couple of weeks ago, I finally found what I've been looking for. My dream home and community, for myself (horses!), my son (lots of gearheads here! Cars!), my dog (he made a friend!), and finally, my flock! (There's a huge clearing, a nice henhouse and run, with beautiful built-in nest boxes.) So... that's really good. ♥️🙏 ♥️
I wished the remaining P.L.C.'s the best of luck, and left them with my love, a flock block and several bags of food worth! I just couldn't take the denial or the stress any longer, my girls deserved a healthy home. I'm very happy to say they've found a new rooster at the Rescue, and they're coming home the 24th! Thank you, everyone ♥️🙏♥️

Update 10/2022:

Well, after a very lucky couple of coyotes made a successful raid on my coop (I lost my jerk rooster, "Hey-Hey", along with a Welsummer pullet who'd already been sold! 🙄😳😔Thankfully, the purchaser was kind, and she graciously accepted a different girl! ), and I failed yet again, to convince the proprietor to do what she needed to do, I decided to call it quits. After moving the remainder of my beautiful flock to a dear friends home/chicken rescue, I set about finding my own safe place.
.........(a really long time happened!).................
As of a couple of weeks ago, I finally found what I've been looking for. My dream home and community, for myself (horses!), my son (lots of gearheads here! Cars!), my dog (he made a friend!), and finally, my flock! (There's a huge clearing, a nice henhouse and run, with beautiful built-in nest boxes.) So... that's really good. ♥️🙏 ♥️
I wished the remaining P.L.C.'s the best of luck, and left them with my love, a flock block and several bags of food worth! I just couldn't take the denial or the stress any longer, my girls deserved a healthy home. I'm very happy to say they've found a new rooster at the Rescue, and they're coming home the 24th! Thank you, everyone ♥️🙏♥️
Good for you! I know it was very hard to remove yourself from a situation like that. You sound like an empath like me. You can give of yourself until you are the one that becomes unhealthy in mind and spirit. Just always remember, you can't pour from an empty cup. Basically, if you don't care for yourself first, you won't have anything to give others. I congratulate you on putting yourself first!

Good for you! I know it was very hard to remove yourself from a situation like that. You sound like an empath like me. You can give of yourself until you are the one that becomes unhealthy in mind and spirit. Just always remember, you can't pour from an empty cup. Basically, if you don't care for yourself first, you won't have anything to give others. I congratulate you on putting yourself first!
You're absolutely right, I need to remember to put my oxygen mask on first ♥️♥️♥️

Back
Top Bottom