Advice needed - possible broken leg?

KellyWellyWoo

Hatching
Dec 26, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm really hoping you can help.

I have 2 cockerels and 5 hens (Golden Bahamas) all about 16 weeks old. I have put them in a large outbuilding with a lamp, plenty of room and let them out every now and then but supervised as it is freezing and windy with loads of kites flying over. They are being feed organic growers pellets (for 1 in every 3/4 feeds I sprinkle a bit of diatomaceous earth with their food). They obviously also have an unlimited supply of fresh water.

For nearly 2 weeks I have noticed that one of our cockerels just seems to sit down plump with his legs underneath him and does not seem to move much. We have been going in a few times a day to keep an eye on him and give him food and water which he is taking nicely. He has never seemed in pain and overall looks healthy.

One of our local farmers give him a quick check and said that he couldn't feel anything broken. I have checked his feet for bumble foot and I can't see anything, I haven't noticed any bones protruding etc. I assumed that he may have come of the perch funny and sprained his leg/foot so I’d thought I’d keep an eye on him and see how he goes. It just so happens over the past few days I have seen him move around by flapping his wings but when he has stood up his right leg stretches to his left leg (it looks like his right foot is resting on his left foot). Like he's crossing his legs as we do when we need a wee! ;)

We are not experienced enough to feel for breaks as we do not want to potentially make anything worse. Any advice would be appreciated before we have to take him to a vet.

Many thanks

Kelly & family.

check about Marek's disease. That's the age where they are susceptible....My were also on the organic grower food...At frst, I just thought he was lame also, then I thought he had growing issues...Ended up after a month that he could not walk at all..The necropsy came back with possible marek..
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom