Advice on a brooding coop/tractor

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I want to build a small coop/tractor specifically for a broody hen. When I search articles I'm just not finding portable options. I was hoping to create something for a hen and her chicks - for the time that she is laying on the eggs and the first 5 weeks so the small chicks aren't harmed by others in the flock. (I have 15 - so not a tiny flock.) I was thinking nesting and feeding area inside and a small attached run to protect them - all moveable. At first I was thinking a little A Frame tractor - but a small, low rectangular tractor might be better. The weather here is not too cold and we seldom see snow.

Are there any articles out there that I missed on this type of thing? Or anyone who has built something like this that can share what they learned. I am wondering how high off the ground I should keep the nesting area - but then again - when the chicks are small it might be best for it to be pretty low so they can get out and explore more easily.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or references...

Have you run across this article??
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/tractor-vs-permanent-coop-the-pros-cons.64344/
I can think of many different possibilities, but don't know your particular ability to construct, as well as purchase supplies. ($budget)
Google has pictures of many movable coops.
One that comes to mind is something like this.
image_2023-12-01_000430641.png

Small enough to be movable,,,, but more importantly, I would park right next to your run. This way your chickens and chicks get used to each other during the course of initial growing.
You would modify the box portion to have nesting lower.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

"How to Build a Hoop Coop" on YouTube.com. the poster is Square County Homestead

I built one. You need a drill. I covered mine in chicken wire, then a tarp. Then, take rope and latch it on the big pvc pipe, throw it over the top and tie it to the other side. You'd need 3 or 4 of those.

You'll need to stake it to the ground because it is very light. You might also want to use hardware cloth. I used it for my Americana roosters as a coop.

Have you run across this article??
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/tractor-vs-permanent-coop-the-pros-cons.64344/
I can think of many different possibilities, but don't know your particular ability to construct, as well as purchase supplies. ($budget)
Google has pictures of many movable coops.
One that comes to mind is something like this.
View attachment 3695303

Small enough to be movable,,,, but more importantly, I would park right next to your run. This way your chickens and chicks get used to each other during the course of initial growing.
You would modify the box portion to have nesting lower.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you for your reply. I did just read that article - it is a good article on the pros and cons. I like the one pictured above - that's the general idea. As you say - it would need lowering, and probably a ramp for the little chicks.

"How to Build a Hoop Coop" on YouTube.com. the poster is Square County Homestead

I built one. You need a drill. I covered mine in chicken wire, then a tarp. Then, take rope and latch it on the big pvc pipe, throw it over the top and tie it to the other side. You'd need 3 or 4 of those.

You'll need to stake it to the ground because it is very light. You might also want to use hardware cloth. I used it for my Americana roosters as a coop.
We have built them. But they are very large. I am looking to build a tiny coop for a broody hen and her chicks. It will be within the chicken run solely to keep them safe from the rest of the flock until they are old enough to safely integrate. So I want very small - it will only be used for brooding...

Back
Top Bottom