Advice on benifits of getting goats please!

JessaLynn

Songster
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
Sandusky County,Ohio
So I have been wanting to get a couple goats for the last few years and wanting to know the true benifits of having goats.I would like to use them for the milk,making soap ect. and want to know which breed is best for that? Can you have them in with your chickens and what's the cost to feed and care for them? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks that was a good start! Still wanted to know if keeping your goats and chickens in the same barn is a good idea.?? It's not really a barn but more like a very large shed
smile.png

Not a good idea to keep them together as the chicken layer feed is toxic to goats and just isnt wise as goats will kinda way to get to it ..I keep my hens in a different place and where the goats cant get to the layer pellets...now I do have roosters in with my goats and they eat goat feed, and keep the ticks down. Thats all that run with my goats...

I was going to have them in enclosed area in with the chickens so they wouldn't be able to get to there feed.I just wasn't sure as far as disease and such go.That's good to know that chicken feed is toxic to them though! Thanks!

Get goats (More than one). They are a great big hoot or
woot.gif
. I love to go spend time with all of my animals, but my goats are awesome.

I keep chickens, ducks and geese in with my horses and goats. I have a BYC page on my Chicken Barn housing set up. Take a look. I big problem was my 6 ft tall Belgian. She could get at anything. I have had no problems with the goats. (Definately get more than one, they keep each other occupied). They are one big happy family. The geese and ducks lay their eggs in the goat house. Everyone leaves the nest boxes alone. THe chickens love to peck around in the manure.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4065-barn-chickens-housing

By the way, if you are interested in my goat house, you can look at this BYC page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4065-Goat_House

Oh yes - you must get goatS! They are very, very social and NEED the company of another goat. You can get one milk goat and a wether as a companion for her if you don't want two milkers. Don't get a buck.

Chicken feed is not toxic to goats. The problem is that goats love it (it's like chocolate to them
big_smile.png
) and will eat too much, too fast and bloat. Bloat will kill your goat. It can be very difficult to keep the little buggers from chicken feed which is why most people don't keep their goats with their chickens. I do have my Nigi's sharing a run with my chickens - they have their own separate nighttime housing though and we made 100% sure that the goats cannot get to the chicken feed. (Boy, was that a challenge.
lol.png
) My Nigis and chickens free range most of every day anyway so they are all over the place together.

Nubians and Nigis give the highest butterfat content and that makes great soaps (so I've been told - I haven't done it yet). If you chose to get Nigis as milkers you want to make sure they come from a very good milk line as it's hard enough to milk those little teats if you don't have good orifices and udders and teats.

Goats need great fencing. If it can't hold water.. it can't hold a goat!
lol.png
Ok, that's not completely true but boy, it can be close. Goats are great at getting through, over or under fences.

Horns - that is a completely personal decision. You need to research and decide if you want horns on your goats - there's strong feelings on both sides of that issue. I personally won't have a goat with horns as I've seen too many people (including children) hurt by a goat who just happened to turn at the wrong time and nail the person in the face or such. The goat wasn't being mean or anything - it just happens. Also, horns can get caught in fences and other things.

Best wishes as you make your decision.

Such wonderful advice! Thanks to all of you! Now it's on to convincing hubby.He's already said no but hey it only would help our family not hurt it:)
My only problem is getting him to build a pen for them and putting fencing up.I'm gonna turn him into a farmer yet by golly!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom