Advice on Coop size

What about bamboo for coop flooring and lining the nest boxes, my friend and her husband have have a surplus from thier new floors and have offered it to me.

Quote:
Thanks. The coop is going to be behind the house (there are large sheds on either side). The run will be right outside the kitchen window. Since I plan to make the coop look like a barn (red stain with a corrugated galvanized roof), I don't want the view from the kitchen blocked by the fence around the run. I always take pics of any project I do, so I will post them in the "My Coop" section.

Last edited:
Now I am very excited after consuling with my carpenter friend, who builds housed for Habitat for Humanity. My coop will be 8x8 and much better and less expensive than what I could have thought. Pics will be up after we build it in March some time.

I would stay away from bamboo for the flooring as the humidity will cause issues with the flooring, As well as the chicken poop.. go vinyl its cheep off the rool at lowes or hd or get some of the left over that they sell for 50% off
My two cents! definately go biggerthen you think you will need there is never enough room ...

I would stay away from bamboo for the flooring as the humidity will cause issues with the flooring,  As well as the chicken poop.. go vinyl its cheep off the rool at lowes or hd or get some of the left over that they sell for 50% off
My two cents! definately go biggerthen you think you will need  there is never enough room ...

As long as your chickens have 5 sq ft ( witch according to your first post that's 11 chickens) u would need AT LEAST 55 sq feet but with that many I would recommend having about 70 sq

Thankss for the info, if I am doing it correctly I should have 64 sq ft in the coop alone...I think it will be 8x8.

Now I am very excited after consuling with my carpenter friend, who builds housed for Habitat for Humanity. My coop will be 8x8 and much better and less expensive than what I could have thought. Pics will be up after we build it in March some time.

Looks like we'll be building our coops at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom