Advice On Emus Please

Actually one of the "victories" the Emu industry had back in the 90s when they were trying to market them as giant chickens, was getting the Post Office to allow 1 old chicks to be shipped in the same fashion as Chicken chicks, ducklings, etc.

Like other similar birds the day old Emu does not need food or water so there is that very small window of opportunity to ship them at that time. Their only vulnerability is then temperature, but I'd assume like other birds they would only be allowed to ship in certain quantities so they would help keep each other warm and account for some of them not surviving the transport.

But as we know Emus did not become the next Chickens, but the post office/department of agriculture rule is still on the books for those that do want or need to ship day olds.
besides the need for warmth, I don't see how they could survive the package handling that I witness in these parts! lol It's definitely legal to mail day olds and we have had great success with chickens and turkey poults, but they are definitely a lot more hardy at 24 hours than an emu, which is usually still pretty wobbily at that point. Just because you can do someething doesn't mean it's wise to do it! IMO

Last edited:
Quote:

last year someone "adopted" (without our permission) our peafowl in the middle of the night... after that incident we don't allow strangers to come out anymore.. so I'll meet them in town or deliver to their homes when it comes to birds or eggs.. rebuilding the peafowl flock isn't cheap... but I'm sure they made a nice profit off of them if they had decided to sell them...
somad.gif

last year someone "adopted" (without our permission) our peafowl in the middle of the night... after that incident we don't allow strangers to come out anymore.. so I'll meet them in town or deliver to their homes when it comes to birds or eggs.. rebuilding the peafowl flock isn't cheap... but I'm sure they made a nice profit off of them if they had decided to sell them...
somad.gif
that sucks!

Hi, Yes they will eat the flowers. I raised a lot of emus and ostriches back in the 80,s and 90's, I raise ostriches now. I am from the south with a lot of oak trees, acorns no problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom