Advice on feeding?

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I know that a lot of you probably wouldn't agree with my decision, but I am letting chicken mama care for the little pea that she hatched. So far little pea is 2 weeks old and doing great. But then comes the dilemma... so far I have had them on gamebird starter, I figured the extra protein wouldn't hurt mama chicken since she was barely eating the whole time she was setting. She looks good, baby looks good, both eating and pooping fine.

What do you think? Keep feeding gamebird starter? Will the higher protein hurt mama chicken? Swap to a lower protein? Would that hurt little pea? Sounds to me like a reason to think about separating, but then little pea would be all alone. Thoughts please?

Last edited:
That is what we feed ours, to high % of protein for to long could cause leg problems down the road that is why we use the 18% medicated chick starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can give them the medicated chick starter and then give them some higher protein treats maybe? Mine two little ones love wet mash- ground egg, yogurt, ground oatmeal, medicated chick starter and electrolyte water. I imagine they'd like just the yolk just as much though.

Back
Top Bottom