Advice on floor, please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ed62, May 17, 2011.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm strongly considering adding a little more room to our coop. We have a concrete floor in the coop, but adding on, I'd like to consider having a plywood floor. I seem to remember reading that a wood floor should be raised a foot or more above the ground. Is this correct? And if so, what is the reason for it? I don't have a problem building whatever I need, but if I can get away with the floor being 4 or 5 inches off the ground, it would make things a little easier for me. But I don't want to be sorry if I do that. All help is appreciated.

Ed

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Two reasons. 1) rot, 2) rodents. It's a pretty good recommendation and I'd suggest following it. Or at least go with a standard 8" cinderblock height, that is reasonably adequate to prevent *excessive* problems with either of the above.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the quick reply. It's pretty much what I expected, but I wanted to be sure before I did anything. A little extra work might prevent being sorry later.

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by