Advice on getting a goat tomorrow

CherokeeCowgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
In the Country
I am going tomorrow to our local livestock yard to pick out a goat. I really want to get a baby one to raise up but if they have a good doe that is a good milk maker then I will get one of those over a baby one.

I am planning on making goat milk soap and goat cheese.

I am wondering what would be the best feed to put her on to get the best milk out of her?

Quote:
Ditto. My main reasons would be CAE, CL, Brucellosis, TB, worms, coccidia ..... Buy from a reputable breeder. It's worth the extra money. You'll end up spending it in vets fees anyway if you buy from a market.

And remember..... fence them in like it was Fort Knox!
old.gif

Buy from a breeder, not a sale or you will regret it later.

Also buy more than one.

Hay is always the best feed. But a ration pellet made for dairy goats is what your looking for.

I support that not to buy from a sale. The one time I did was a complete disaster that took years for my fields to recover from. Find a good breeder, and then educate yourself before looking.

It sounds like you are new to goats. If you buy from a farm they will be able to answer a lot of questions for you and get you off to a good start in goat keeping. Different areas of the country lack certain minerals in the soil so those minerals should be added to the goats feed. Things like this make buying from an actual person invaluable. You will know what they feed, if the goat has been vaccinated and so on.
Good Luck in finding your perfect goats!

I advertised for someone who raises goats but never got a reply. So that is why I was going to get one at the stockyard.

Are there any breeders on here around the AL/FL line?

Back
Top Bottom