Advice on Giving Broody Chicks

We started with chickens last spring and have brooded them all ourselves. We have two silkies, a buff Orpington, and an OE who has gone broody so we should have lots of mama options! Hoping we can find a good way to do all this to add in a few new chicks to the flock here and there and not have to brood anymore but I don’t know. Definitely a learning experience!
You and I are in the same boat. Following to learn all the things and see how your momma and brood do.
So glad that you’ve gotten help. I love the forums on BYC, little judgement, a lot of empathy from those who have been there before and a wealth of info!

Would it work to tip that tote up so the chicks are confined but mama can hop in and out? At least til the chicks are old enough to hop out themselves?
Maybe?! I may be worried it would fall and hurt chicks, but I obviously over think!
I haven’t set up the brooding plate as momma has been confined behind fencing on the floor with them for the past week. My momma is being a fabulous momma and tending to them but not herself. (I’ve got a few threads going with all of the side issues we’re facing.) I think, right now but it may change if I chicken out, my plan is to spend time out with them for a chunk of time today and see what happens. I’ve been out with them each day for a few hours but maybe today I take down the fencing, leave their little area and see what momma does, and then know where to help, if at all. Momma is my chicken…as in she’s my baby…so it’s making it harder for me to distance myself as I don’t want anything to happen to her or babies.
😬 The other 6 chicks we are getting over the next few weeks are going to be brooder box/plate raised and I’ve got to say my nerves are thankful😆

I went out to check on them thinking I’d tip the tote upright since I will be gone for a couple hours. But everyone was happily chirping and hopping on and snuggling under mama. So I let them be. Forcing myself to trust the process! It’s the sweetest thing to watch!

Attachments

• FD093E7A-8D30-4C4E-B2AB-1A17B3EDD612.jpeg
    FD093E7A-8D30-4C4E-B2AB-1A17B3EDD612.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 6B366633-A46A-4938-93D9-7004E7C96E92.jpeg
    6B366633-A46A-4938-93D9-7004E7C96E92.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 10
  • C9A4C5EC-7B36-4655-8658-C8153211DDD3.jpeg
    C9A4C5EC-7B36-4655-8658-C8153211DDD3.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 12
I have done this several times over the years. I lost one last year, too. I had no idea what happened because mamas (they were co-parenting!) were right there.

The last time I gave chicks to a broody, I set up a barrier between mama and the rest of the coop just because I had a few young pullets whose behavior I wasn't 100% sure of. I used one of those puppy exercise pens and just propped it up around the nest and put food and water in it with them. Once mama brought the babies out, I moved the whole fam to the duck house (the ducks never sleep in it - ungrateful divas). I left them in there for a few weeks, actually, because I was worried about the babies slipping out of the fence and getting taken by predators.

It worked well and was worry free. I will likely use this set up again when I get chicks this year.

I have that small bowl of starter feed and water there by the chicks. She wanted to go out where she normally eats. The chicks can’t go out yet. There’s a ledge in the way and a two foot ramp/drop and it’s below freezing this morning.

Would it work to tip that tote up so the chicks are confined but mama can hop in and out? At least til the chicks are old enough to hop out themselves?

I would not let a hen go somewhere her chicks cannot go.
She is supposed to stay with them and take care of them.
Also, if the hen can get out, there will come a day when some chicks can get out and others cannot yet, so you'll have some chicks each place. And some of the ones that get out will be unable to figure out how to get back in (yes, experience speaking here.)

So I would arrange to have the hen, chicks, food, and water are in a pen she can NOT get out of. And later, I would open it up so they can all get out easily, or move her and them to a different place where getting in & out isn't an issue.

I would not let a hen go somewhere her chicks cannot go.
She is supposed to stay with them and take care of them.
Also, if the hen can get out, there will come a day when some chicks can get out and others cannot yet, so you'll have some chicks each place. And some of the ones that get out will be unable to figure out how to get back in (yes, experience speaking here.)

So I would arrange to have the hen, chicks, food, and water are in a pen she can NOT get out of. And later, I would open it up so they can all get out easily, or move her and them to a different place where getting in & out isn't an issue.
At what week would you let them out of the pen?

At what week would you let them out of the pen?

That would depend on the coop situation, the weather, and watching how the chicks & hen are doing. I would probably keep them in for at least 2 days, but probably not more than 2 weeks.

Even a few days makes a big difference in their ability to run around. They also have to learn to stay with mamma, not getting left behind or running off the wrong direction. The first few days make a big difference in that too. Some hens are more attentive to their chicks than others, so it's safe to let them out sooner. Other hens don't care as much, so the chicks need to be older to keep up with those hens.

You can try letting them out at a time when you can watch, and see how they do. It will probably be obvious if the chicks stay with the hen and she looks out for them, or if she runs off and leaves them, or if they scatter and ignore her.

From what I can tell, mama stayed put in her spot with the babies all day. I did see them eating and drinking together in the set up I have for them. I turned the heat lamp off for nighttime because the other birds were getting too nosey - mostly just wanting their food. The babies will stay with mama, right? They were all tucked into her when I unplugged the light.

Our chicks come out once at night to eat and drink per the coop cam, otherwise they are under momma all night. We do not have a heat lamp or brooding plate as momma keeps them nice and toasty!

Back
Top Bottom