Advice on hands on hatching please.

molerosedan

Hatching
Aug 21, 2021
Hi all, My son is a first time hatcher and has incubated 5 quail eggs being careful to get the temperature and humidity right throughout. After the 18 days were up none had hatched. On day twenty two he decided to intervene as nothing was happening. Four had passed away but one little chap is alive but hasn't internally pipped. Following hands on hatching advice on here he has carefully pealed away the air sac end to see whats going on. He is painting the membrane with coconut oil as it still has veins. However, the chick hasn't broken through the membrane so my question is, is it right for him to leave well alone and watch for the veins to shrink back and then wait for the chick to break the membrane, or will he need to make a small tear when the veins have receded. As I understand it, it is the lack of oxygen that causes the chick to break though into the air sac on a conventional hatch, but I guess that wont happen now the shell is open.
Advice would be very much appreciated as he is already emotionally attached!

chick.jpg

Definitely wait until the veins have receded. It's too late to say, "leave them alone", so keep a close eye. Hopefully the chick will make it out on its own. I would guess that your temperature was a bit low during incubation.

If you choose to do hatches in the future, make sure to have at least two calibrated thermometers and a hygrometer inside the incubator. Never trust the readings on the incubator itself.

Thanks for your advice. It seems we did the right thing in intervening...... Chick has just pierced the membrane 😊 on its own and will now be left to complete the job, I'm sure if we had left it, it would have died like the others. This was my sons first hatch. I've hatched many times before with no problems in the same incubator.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom