1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Advice on hens maturing at different times. How to adjust feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kiya4jah, Jul 10, 2008.

1. kiya4jah

kiya4jah In the Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I have several breeds of hens and all will start laying in the next month or so. I have some leghorns and a black star that will lay sooner than the others and need to know if I should slowly mix laying crumbles with their current food or should I try to seperate the ladies and give them diffent food? Is it possible to just suppliment with oyster shell to start with?
    Any suggestions will help. Thanks

2. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I suppose in an ideal world you could make it so every single chicken would get just the feed it needs...

Personally, I will integrate the chickens from the grow out pen in with the other chickens when I need to - which is usually about 4-8 weeks before they hit laying age. At that point they get laying pellets, which is what I feed in the main pen, and I've not had any problems at all.

I feed 16% layer pellets with oyster shell available at all times. I bought 50# of oyster shell back at the first of the year, and I can't see where they have made a dent in it all all...

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Songster

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I had the same problem. I have year olds and 4 mos olds and one 2 year old roo.

I questioned and questioned and got so many answers I was more confused that when I started.

Now I have flock starter and laying feed and oyster shell all out with all of them for about 2 months now and they seem to be doing fine. Everyone seems happy and healthy.

Hope this helps.

Jacie

4. kiya4jah

kiya4jah In the Brooder

May 13, 2008
    That's what I was thinking as well. They are all so close in age that I think mixing the laying ration with the growing rashions. They are all super healthy so they should be just fine.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put out a pan of laying feed and a pan grower ration and a dish of oyster shell.

They will all eat a bit of both feeds. Some will choose more of one over the other. The hens that need shell will eat it.

It'll be fine. [​IMG]

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have 4 1/2 month olds in with my big chickens now. They've been with them for about 3 weeks. I mix the feed where it is 2 parts layer and 1 part grower. Everyone is doing fine. I've even noticed a few pullet eggs and caught one young girl in the nest. Before I put them with the older chickens, I introduced and gradually increaed the amount of layer pellets in their feed over about a 2 week period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: