Advice on keeping pheasants throw a Canadian winter

bribre

Songster
8 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta Canada
Hello fellow BYC members!!

I'd like some advice on keeping ringneck pheasants throw the winter. I know pheasants are cold hearty but how cold is too cold! Out herein Alberta Canada it's not unusual for it to get as cold as -40 Celsius. This will be my first winter with pheasants as I just got them this past spring. I have two hens and a roo. There coop there staying in now is far from ideal but it's all I have to work with until next spring. I wasn't planing on giving them a heat lamp but I can if need be.

Thank you for any and all advice!!

Don't give them any heat.Poly around their pen but leave a little opening so fresh air gets in but don't let it get to where they roost.They can tolerate cold temps.If you provide heat they may go into a molt and they will not generate the proper amount of down that keeps them warm in the colder months.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thank you Tony for the fast response! That's exactly the advice I needed! I'll put some plastic up first thing tomorrow. Do you think a heated dog dish would benefit them or should I just stick with replacing there frozen water with fresh water ones a day?

Back
Top Bottom