Advice on making my coop more suitable?

Thanks. I think one of those astroturf mats with the nesting pad on top might be the best best. I have similar nesting pads that I fluffed out and threw in each of the boxes but as the chickens kick and move around they slide all over the place and end up on the floor. Those mats will probably work nicely to keep them in place and prevent them from sliding on the plastic flooring.

Basically my coop consists of a 8'x10' she'd connected to a screened in section of run that is approx. 6'x8'. Inside the shed I have a simple and small chicken coop that I bought on Amazon. There is a window in the coop that stays open, and there are 2 sets of double doors. I leave the double doors leading to the run open at all times and I enter thru the other set of double doors so they stay closed. I have a fan constantly going in there and an air purifier that i turn on periodically. I have 3 girls and the issue is that they refuse to go into the small coop at night. They all fly onto the top of it and roost. Every night at dusk I go in there and they look uncomfortable and pushy crammed on the small section of angled roof. They lay eggs in the box and occasionally go in, but not at bed time. I feel bad because I assume it is probably hot in there. I want to do something better for them. Maybe just leave the small coop in there for egg laying and possibly build a roost or something above it for them to sleep on. I am going on vacation for a week in a few weeks and I would ideally like to get them a stable sleeping situation without me having to force them in a box every night. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any help.
I should NOT do this, but I’m going to reply to you before reading the other responses. I’m sure everything I’m about to say will have already been said by several people already. So I’ll apologize in advance for being redundant & wasting people’s time...
You probably paid way more for your commercially purchased coop than it’s materials & functionality will warrant for the short time it will probably last for you. The environment you’ve got around it is way more high class, stimulating & suitable for the chickens anyways!
Are you planning on increasing your flock size? If not, I’d try to sell the pre-fab & recoup some of your money. If yes, then I’d clean it up, put it away, then use it as a brooder for the future chicks. Either way, remove it. Give your other chickens that space. Get it out from under your feet & out from under the mess and damage caused by being an incredibly expensive roost and poop catcher for the chickens who don’t use it. Put in a couple nice nesting boxes, a small storage cabinet for feed, treat bags, supplies, etc. The pre fab coops are great for catalog photos & little chicks, but don’t stand up well in the long run against poop, moisture, constant general usage, blah, blah...
P.S.: I’ve read and heard that the roosting bars should be wide side up. Apparently unlike raptor breeds that grip with their talons, chickens pretty much roost flat footed and not having to contend with too many edges & corners is better for their overall foot health

Last edited:
And girl, listening to these chicken whisperers suggestions and advice will make your “chicken life” sooo much easier. I started with 12 chicks in April & firmly believe neither myself nor my girls would have a “pot to pi$$ in” or a coop to live in if it hadn’t been for people like @DobieLover , @aart , @rosemarythyme and others to hold my hand. They are founts of knowledge!
Psst...ask them about poop boards and watch your chicken life make yet another change for the positive!!!

I actually found the chickens favorite spot by seeing all the dropping in the morning. It happens to be situated right above their new nest boxes. Now I cover the containers with a wee-wee pad and it makes clean up pretty easy. They are taking to their new coop pretty nicely. They are probably a lot less hot now. At bed time they hop onto their favorite area and I usually go in there and pet them for a few minutes. 2/3 of them purr while they are getting pet. Funny girls. Thanks for all the help they are definitely happier birds now.

Back
Top Bottom