Advice on new coop build for first timer

Hi all,

First time chick owner here, and now it's time to build the coop. My plan is to build it on a concrete slab that already exists in my backyard. 2x4 pressure treated construction. There's a drain in the middle of the slab, approximately in the center of where the coop will be.

My question really is about the floor. Should I just leave it as the bare concrete? The coop itself will be large enough that it'll be impossible to move around, so it'll be pretty much in its permanent position. In terms of bedding...just fill it with what, a couple of inches of pine shavings?

Thanks!

I'd use shavings over the concrete.

I'd love a concrete slab. Eliminates digging into the coop.
How big is the coop going to be, and how many chickens are you planning on having?

I do the deep litter over my concrete slab. Makes cleaning super easy. put a plug in the drain before you add the litter. Then you can unplug it when you clean the coop.

I'd use shavings over the concrete.

I'd love a concrete slab. Eliminates digging into the coop.
How big is the coop going to be, and how many chickens are you planning on having?

It's about a 12' diameter circular slab, so I'm thinking about using 8' 2x4s and make it basically 8'x8' by 6' or 8' tall.

I have 6 chicks. 3 Black Australorps, and 3 Rhode Island Reds. Cute little things!

Thanks for your reply.

It's about a 12' diameter circular slab, so I'm thinking about using 8' 2x4s and make it basically 8'x8' by 6' or 8' tall.

I have 6 chicks. 3 Black Australorps, and 3 Rhode Island Reds. Cute little things!

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like a silo pad. I'd build frame from 4x4's. Most PT 2x4 are not ground contact rated. PT 4x4 usually are.

8x8 will be plenty big enough for 6 ladies, and for the eventual adoption of more.

My advice is to make it tall enough to stand up in. I am 5'6" tall, so 6' would work, but with 6" of shavings at the end of winter, I would be hitting my head when I cleaned it out in spring.
Go with 8' tall. That will also leave a nice area up high for ventilation.

Where about are you located? Your climate will dictate a lot about what you need to build for a coop.

My advice is to make it tall enough to stand up in. I am 5'6" tall, so 6' would work, but with 6" of shavings at the end of winter, I would be hitting my head when I cleaned it out in spring.
Go with 8' tall. That will also leave a nice area up high for ventilation.

Where about are you located? Your climate will dictate a lot about what you need to build for a coop.

California, Bay Area. Gets to 100 here maybe once a year, and only a couple of days below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom