Advice on next step- sickenss in the flock

brackenfalls

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Here is the run down. I am looking for the best next step, ultimately for the lowest cost.

Small backyard flock: 6 mature hens, started new chicks this winter.

At 4 wks, lost first chick, lost second at 6 wks, lost third at 8 wks. Each had similar symptoms. Most notably a straining neck with gaping beak, maybe straining for breath? and diminished energy. The first baby chick showed the gaping within first week.

Currently: We went two weeks with no signs of sickness in the coop. Today we have one 10 wk pullet with loose poo (have looked at all the poo boards, I cannot tell if it fits in the normal category or not. What I do know is that they are all loose/watery and frequent.) She seems healthy otherwise. Other two pullets seem fine, with no poo issues. No pullets show gaping. Today a mature hen showed significant gaping signs.

Chicks and hens are housed separately right now, but near-by.

I have three kids who don't want to watch another chicken slowly die.

What should I do next? Worm? Antibiotic? Vet for diagnosis is too expensive.

Chicks still getting reg chick crumble and hens are on layer pellets. Basic farm store brand. Regular water from a water-er for littles, daily-filled buckets for bigs.

Sav-a-chick electrolyes and probiotic in one gallon water for first week. I run probiotic a second week, then regular water on third and after.

Medicated chick starter first two weeks, then starter/grower as per directions.

Keeps pasty butt away and everyone healthy. I run 100 chicks every few months and rarely a death. usually due to trampling or unforeseen accident.

Here is the run down. I am looking for the best next step, ultimately for the lowest cost.

Small backyard flock: 6 mature hens, started new chicks this winter.

At 4 wks, lost first chick, lost second at 6 wks, lost third at 8 wks. Each had similar symptoms. Most notably a straining neck with gaping beak, maybe straining for breath? and diminished energy. The first baby chick showed the gaping within first week.

Currently: We went two weeks with no signs of sickness in the coop. Today we have one 10 wk pullet with loose poo (have looked at all the poo boards, I cannot tell if it fits in the normal category or not. What I do know is that they are all loose/watery and frequent.) She seems healthy otherwise. Other two pullets seem fine, with no poo issues. No pullets show gaping. Today a mature hen showed significant gaping signs.

Chicks and hens are housed separately right now, but near-by.

I have three kids who don't want to watch another chicken slowly die.

What should I do next? Worm? Antibiotic? Vet for diagnosis is too expensive.
I would think about giving all of the chicks a 5 day dosage of Corid (amprollium) for coccidiosis. Ampromed is another be=rand, and the dosage is 2 tsp liquid or 1.5 tsp of powder per gallon of water for 5 days. After completion, give vitamins and probiotics in water for a few days. Coccidiosis can lower immunity to other diseases.

Eggcessive, I've just spent way too long looking at all manner of threads here on BYC and you know your stuff! I kept finding your responses. I appreciate the clear, supportive help you have given others.

After the reading, I'm wondering if we are dealing with a respiratory infection. I was holding her tonight I noticed marked chest noises and labored breathing. Can I do the Corid and Tylan at the same time? Corid for the whole, then also inject the sick hen?

And thanks, all, for the specific names of product. The med aisle at the feed store is a bit intimidating...

Thank you for the comments. Did you buy the chicks from a breeder or from a hatchery? Could they have come from a farm with carriers of a respiratory disease? Gaping is a sign of respiratory disease such as MG, coryza, IB, and ILT. Constant severe gaping might be a sign of gapeworm, but it is pretty rare, and in tropical climates. It's common to have more than one disease going on at a time--you can have one complicated by a secondary infection which can really cause a problem. If you got the chicks somewhere else I suppose they could have infected your hen. I don't think your hen needs the Corid, since she should be immune to cocci in your soil, but I would give her the Tylan50 1 ml into the breast muscle daily for 5 days. Here are a couple of links for you about respiratory diseases and symptoms, and cocci:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Back
Top Bottom