Advice on pregnant doeling

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
So I bought a doeling at an auction 2 months ago. She looked about 6 months old or so. So now she may be around 8-9 months old. When we got her we didn't notice that she looked pregnant. But now she looks huge! A friend came over and said "your little goat is pregnant" and it freaked me out because I've always heard not to breed your does under a year old. I've never dealt with a doe this young be pregnant. Any advice on what I should do or look out for? Thanks!

In the picture she is on the right . Next to her is my other doe that is older and is not bred.
IMG_20200125_130922.jpg

So I bought a doeling at an auction 2 months ago. She looked about 6 months old or so. So now she may be around 8-9 months old. When we got her we didn't notice that she looked pregnant. But now she looks huge! A friend came over and said "your little goat is pregnant" and it freaked me out because I've always heard not to breed your does under a year old. I've never dealt with a doe this young be pregnant. Any advice on what I should do or look out for? Thanks!

In the picture she is on the right . Next to her is my other doe that is older and is not bred.View attachment 2010864
Young does aren't supposed to be bred because they aren't fully grown, although she might be older than you think. There is nothing you can do now. When she is in labor, keep an eye on her, and if she strains, assist her in birth. Good luck! Hopefully she doesn't have any problems.

Relax. When I had my dairy I bred my doelings to freshen at about a year, which meant I bred them when they were about seven months old. Of course these animals were well fed and well grown. As long as she is properly fed she will continue to grow even though she may be pregnant or milking. I once had a doeling kid at eight months of age, which meant she was bred at three months. I am not proud of it, but it happened. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the new mother. Everything turned out fine and both mother and baby eventually matured into nice big does. Just keep an eye on her in case she has trouble kidding. Once she kids make sure she has plenty of feed so she can finish growing. Don't feed her any extra now though because you don't want the baby to get too big before it is born.

Does the owner have experience with kidding? I am just hoping that she will have 2 small kids instead of one large one. She will likely be ok, after all, wild goats breed young. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

I didn't think about not feeding her extra to avoid growing too much, I'll keep that in mind!

I don't have alot of experience with goat births. I've dealt with other animals births quiet a bit though. The last time I had a doe give birth (the one next to her) had to have an emergency C-section. So I'm hoping this little doeling will be okay and won't have trouble like my other doe did.

So I've been checking on my little doe,and her bag is slowly still filling up. It's not huge yet but I can see and feel a difference. Today I noticed she had some discharge coming out of her. What could it be?View attachment 2024063
Jeepers I think she might be almost ready to kid.
@cassie

Back
Top Bottom