Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
good morning,
I am in need of advice on the type of sand to buy for my run. I know not to get play sand, or anything huge like bull rock. However this company is nearby, and I am ordering 7 ton to be delivered next week. I am not able to see it or feel it for courseness until next week. So basically I need to make a judgement call without seeing it. Not the best situation, however I cannot put it off any longer. (Chicks starting to have health consequences with all the rain, even though 1/2 of run is covered) It has been raining here non stop, and it is supposed to stop for the next week. That gives me just enough time to have the land dry up somewhat to get the dump truck near the coop. Then More rain predicted.
Below are pictures of their products.
I know many suggest getting washed product, and only a couple of choices are listed as washed. I figure with all the rain, all of it has been washed!
We are in Texas, not sure that really matters, however just thought I would throw that info out there!
View media item 7892244View media item 7892243View media item 7892242

good morning,
I am in need of advice on the type of sand to buy for my run. I know not to get play sand, or anything huge like bull rock. However this company is nearby, and I am ordering 7 ton to be delivered next week. ]

I use builders sand like they mix in with cement for laying blocks/bricks. I order about 20 tons at the time. I do use it for other things around the farm.

Well unfortunately I explained what I needed to the guy, and he said, oh yes, this is like play sand. That was all they had that would fit my needs. So I thought, play sand is better than no sand, and for a dump truck full it was only $110.00 delivered.
I had it delivered and it felt like coarse sand, so great right?
Wrong, wrong,wrong!! I spent days and days shoveling it to a wheelbarrow and putting it in.
The day after I finished it poured rain.
I learned that it was a sand/clay mix. More clay than sand come to find out.
Now my run is worse than ever before. It stinks so bad, and it won't dry out.
I learned my lesson!! It was a hard lesson to learn, however I will not make that mistake ever again.
Now I will spend the next week or so shoveling it out.
I will then have to find another company that actually has the correct material and go look at it, then start over again!! Ahhh!!
What a pain!!
For those of you out there, go look at the material first and then take a sample and get it wet before you have it delivered!!

Back
Top Bottom